dive shop wants advanced nitrox for mixes other than 32 or 36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzymusicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So a local shop in Miami now has a shop policy of wanting to see an advanced nitrox card for mixes other than 32 or 36. Their reasoning is that the regular nitrox courses only give you tables for those mixes so that's all you're qualified to use. My incredulous question of "so who teaches this advanced nitrox course" was met with the expected response of "we do". Either they are not aware that advanced nitrox is the title of courses usually found in tech training, or they're just trying to pad the bottom line. They are an SSI shop and from what I've seen, Advanced Nitrox is part of their XR course which is tech. If they keep trying to enforce this silly policy I'll have to find another shop to get my gas from.

What gives? Is this common?

Sounds like a load of horse $h.. My nitrox class (TDI) covered 21%-->40%. My adv nitox was 40% -> 100%. Using the same "logic" of this guy, you would then only be allowed to get: 32%, 36%, and 40-100%.

Find another shop, and let them know why.

My $.02

According to both the instructor manual for PADI and IANTD. An EAN certification gives you the ability to use EAN 21% to EAN 40% so long as you stay within a PO2 of 1.4 and do not get into Deco profiles.

You may want to check and see what certification agency they claim to use and contact that agency directly.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

What were all the formulas I learned for? Someone told me they were for non-standard mixes between 22% - 40%.

My SSI course covered mixes up to 40. Like afterdark said, that's what all those formulae are for. I'm sure some other shop in the area would be more than happy to accept your patronage.

I concur with the other comments. Shop elsewhere. That is the biggest load of horse dung I have heard. I have tables, was taught the formulas, and my dive computer will accommodate gas mixes throughout the spectrum. I use whatever mix is most appropriate for the dive I'm planning.

Most agencies certify basic nitrox, any mix 22-40%. Some agencies do have 'limited' courses that only certify 32% and 36%... that's rare though. It'd be important to identify what agency (if any) the shop was affiliated with. That said, if you don't like the services offered, just vote with your feet/wallet.

Maybe the shop owner just saw the diminishing content of some nitrox courses and felt a duty-of-care to slap his own limitation on what he would sell people?

Name the shop. Allow those who know how to calculate best mixes, mods, eads, and the like up to 40% to call them and ask why they do this. Maybe their own basic nitrox course is crap? That would be the only reason aside from greed that I can see for them to do this. And stop going tbere. And tell them why.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

......their own basic nitrox course is crap

likely that, and a cash grab too....

Will they sell computers that are able to do decompression calculations without Tech training? Do they sell larger tanks that might allow you to bump into deco? Do they sell lights to OW certified divers? Will they sell you a reel if you don't have an advanced cert?

they are "turds"..... and an example of everything that is wrong with the industry....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom