Doing my DM & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
Starting in December I am doing my Divemaster and then my Instructors a month later all part of the same internship, so I get the on-the-job training.

Anyway I am curious for those who are DMs and Instructors how you found the theoretical side of the course?

I am not exactly sure what to expect. It is difficult, harder than rescue? Is it more about the theory and knowledge than the diving (since diving is covered a lot in OW and ADV) much like Rescue was (although that covered a lot on technique).

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really excited to get started but the more I think the more questions I get.

Thanks

Thank for those links, DD!
I'm currently studying my DM course material; and am planning to take the IDC sometime later next year.

I appreciate you sharing that.

Cheers,
Mitch

DM and instructor theory is near-identical. Instructor's (I.E./Instructor Exam) have a higher pass rate however. It is substantially more comprehensive than anything you would have done in subsequent courses.

For ideas and examples, investigate these links:

http://www.goproutila.com/sites/def...aster PADI IDC revision Dive Theory Notes.pdf

http://www.richardmei.com/uploads/5/1/6/1/5161658/dive_theory_mastery_complete.pdf

The theory side of DM and Instructor courses is much more comprehensive than anything you have engaged before in any scuba course. Many students neglect that part of the course. I suggest you treat it like a course for credit at a junior college, and not blow it off until the end. The theory is important to understanding the WHY of many rules of safety in scuba, as well as the WHY of treating DCS.
The diving part of these courses is focused on MASTERY of skills atr a demonstration quality level. Ultimately, you will be demonstrating skills, and you need to do them effortlessly, explaining the components to students.
In both areas, you will find that you will ( or should advance more in the DM program than you did in all other courses you have taken combined. At least that is my opinion. By the way, you will do just fine.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the replies.

This is actually (at this stage) the only time I'm not overly concerned that I won't pass this (which probably means I'll fail, lol). I've just come to realise that in all my courses, and with different providers in different countries, it is extremely hard to fail these things.

That said, I won't be taking it easy and plan on studying every night, learning it bit-by-bit.

I've just come to realise that in all my courses, and with different providers in different countries, it is extremely hard to fail these things.

There's a good lesson for you there, as a potential future instructor. Courses aren't supposed to be attendance/time-based only...

If you ever progress to technical diving levels, and have selected a decent instructor, you'll be disabused of this notion in short order :wink:

As for the IDC, theory is quite fail-able. The other aspect of I.E. where people fail is in the application of correct standards in assessed confined/open water lessons. For instance, being 1m short in their demo of CESA etc..

Good plan to study daily for the DM tests. I did that for many months. There apparently is a little less theory than in the old course, but still a lot. A lot of stuff to memorize--kind of like a (tiny) university degree. A lot of the knowledge is very important, but a lot also is just nice to have and won't come into practical use. As mentioned, other than stamina tests and rescue review, deep dive, etc., there is nothing really about improving your own diving. It is assumed that is pretty fine tuned to begin with. It's about demonstrating skills--slowly and precisely AND the way your instructor wants it done. Do check out the various PADI (and other?) videos online regarding skills. I know nothing much about the IDC.

If one lives in a city far from the sea....and it's cold to boot and you have a full time job, you should/would have to set aside quite a bit of time to really study and get into that diving head.

I consider myself luck/fortunate....I was living on Boracay working for a friend of mine in his shop when I did my DM and OWSI. The manuals, books, tools, tanks, other divers, instructors, customers.....every day. It was pretty easy since I was living the life. All I had to do was grab a tank and walk out 100 yards to crystal clear water and I could practice skills or whatever.

Work with it. It was a lot of fun.

You don't have many mates, do you?
100 yards to crystal water - there have been words invented to describe people of your ilk and such Anglo Saxon words are not permitted on SB so you can use your imagination while I go and find a little cupboard to cry in :)

All in jest of course sir !

You don't have many mates, do you?
100 yards to crystal water - there have been words invented to describe people of your ilk and such Anglo Saxon words are not permitted on SB so you can use your imagination while I go and find a little cupboard to cry in :)

All in jest of course sir !

hah Well, that was only a temporary moment of glory. Now I live about a mile from the sea and have to drive my boat out 14 miles or so to get that clear water. Life gets tough…..:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom