Is the market that good no one cares to make an effort to sell 2 sets of scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am shopping for scuba gear and I need at least 2 full sets. What I found is that every time I go or call a store, they are happy to give me quotes but once they realize I do not want to buy at a list price, they loose interest. I am not talking about discounted list price but about MSRP prices, even higher sometime. I am really trying to buy local but when I have to follow up on the quotes people promise me to call me back with or send me email about, this makes me wonder why I am trying that hard to pay extra money here. Is the market that good?

I found only one store where the owner was really trying to get us what we need. It is sad he does not care the BCDs we like. I may end up buying BCDs online and getting him cash for the rest.

Yes, I do want the prices to be close to LP. Yes, I understand I may not get it. Even though that store I mention price match LP. However, I won't push him to do it if I end up buying there.

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good store to get ScubaPro and Sherwood BCs + Mares or Cressi Regs?

Where you are will make a difference to the answers you get. Ontario is pretty big :)

When I lived in Toronto, I always went to Aquasub in Richmond Hill. It was way out of my way (I lived in the Beaches), but I always found the owner. Norbert, to be very knowledgeable, upfront and honest. We ended up becoming good friends.
One thing to take into account is that if you buy gear from a lds in Toronto, prices will be higher than in LP. That is because import duties, taxes and all those joyous things a business owner has to pay, but if you buy locally, you will always have the support of your lds for warranty claims, services, etc.

Funny.... I live in Richmond Hill and travel to Aquarius, in fact my son's school is on the same street as Norbert.
There is Scuba2000 if like like overpaying, took an Equipment course and whoaaaaa did we get ripped. Not to mention their prices are high, you do however get to practice on your brand new equipment in their own pool.. That is if you feel like bleaching it Marek can be challenging (man can he sell) but most of the time we deal with Guy, who also does all our servicing. I know for a fact wetsuits are a $ match for LP, 499 is 499. Keep in mind LP ships FedEx Priority ($$$$$) plus taxes and some duties (and the 95c CAN$).

When I lived in Toronto, I always went to Aquasub in Richmond Hill. It was way out of my way (I lived in the Beaches), but I always found the owner. Norbert, to be very knowledgeable, upfront and honest. We ended up becoming good friends.
One thing to take into account is that if you buy gear from a lds in Toronto, prices will be higher than in LP. That is because import duties, taxes and all those joyous things a business owner has to pay, but if you buy locally, you will always have the support of your lds for warranty claims, services, etc.

That only store I mentioned was Aquasub and I spoke to Norbert ;-) He is truly a great guy. It is just he does not have the BCs that fit us well.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

Funny.... I live in Richmond Hill and travel to Aquarius, in fact my son's school is on the same street as Norbert.
There is Scuba2000 if like like overpaying, took an Equipment course and whoaaaaa did we get ripped. Not to mention their prices are high, you do however get to practice on your brand new equipment in their own pool.. That is if you feel like bleaching it Marek can be challenging (man can he sell) but most of the time we deal with Guy, who also does all our servicing. I know for a fact wetsuits are a $ match for LP, 499 is 499. Keep in mind LP ships FedEx Priority ($$$$$) plus taxes and some duties (and the 95c CAN$).

Sorry, I didn't quite get it. Did you get your gear from Norbert or Scuba2000? I got a couple of quote from Scuba2000 and they are actually coming close to LP. I would say 15% difference, not including LP shipment and duties.

I believe water sports carries Sherwood and scubapro equipment.

+1 for norbert.

I second Dans Dive Shop. Great people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom