Wet suit information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Going to the shop tomorrow to most likely purchase a wet suit. I was hoping to hear opinions on the best/worst brands, styles and what not since I have zero idea.

Sorry if this post is in an inappropriate place.

Fiz

Kind of depends on your body type and the conditions you dive in. I've heard good things about Henderson for tall people, but honestly most cuts I've found are designed for overweight people. The thickness will depend on the temperature of the water you dive in. Colder water = thicker wetsuit.

Either way, I would buy a semi-dry. They don't have the nylon layer inside, so they will resist stinking longer. However, it's less good to urinate in them :). I bought a custom suit for a reasonable price from Aquaflite since the standard sizes didn't really fit me (too large in the waist).

There are no best brands or worst brands. It comes down to only two factors IMHO. First is the fit (most important) second is your preference for the type of neoprene. When it comes to the latter majority of the worlds population dives a neoprene called CR-100. It is stretchy and compression resistant and does not need a lot of lead to sink. The second is nitrogen neoprene which is very rare. It is rigid and lasts longer but not very comfortable. Also needs more lead to sink than CR-100.

I do not believe in buying a stock suit. Even the most expensive "brand" will not have the fit that a custom suit will have so I would recommend going custom. I get my suits made by a company called Dragonhide / Deluxe. Here is my custom 3mm CR 100 suit.

wetsuit1.jpg
wetsuit2.jpg

Great insights, thank you. I'll see if I can find some Hendersons to try out, and then look into a custom.

As Captain Sinbad mentioned, best suit is the one that fits you.

Thickness depends on what exposure protection you need.

+1 for fit - don't be seduced away by flashy marketing or nice brand logo's - if it isn't a close but comfortable fit then it won't do the job it is designed for which is to keep a thin layer of water next to your skin with minimal flushing.

Decide what thickness you need based on the water temps you will dive, then try the available ones on and narrow down to fit. After fit think about the function, and pick the one from those that fit which suit you best, padded/re-inforced knees and elbows, front or rear zip and so on according to what you want/need.

You will need to think about your type of diving and preferences before you go so you don't get confused or railroaded once there.

Have fun and enjoy - happy new year ! - Phil

Read this feature and you will be a well informed consumer. Maybe even a step ahead of the clerk.

Pete

Waterproof and 4th Element offer the best features on the market.

More stretch = Less insulation, suit doesn't last as long

Look for a suit that has:
Skin-in seals (uncoated neoprene, typically in the ankles and forearms)
A zipper backer (flap of neoprene behind the zipper)
Liquid-seam technology over blind stitched seams

Most importantly, purchase a suit that fits. If you're big for your height, you'll probably want a custom suit.

Back
Top Bottom