Split Fins and Rescue Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMAE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In preparation for the rescue course, I am wondering if my Oceanic V12 split fins are sufficient. I had a dive professional tell me that my split fins would not provide enough 'power' for the course and that I should consider buying a pair of free-diving fins which happened to be on sale at his shop. This is not the shop where I will be doing the training. Is there any truth to his statement and should I consider purchasing another type of fin before my rescue class?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

In preparation for the rescue course, I am wondering if my Oceanic V12 split fins are sufficient. I had a dive professional tell me that my split fins would not provide enough 'power' for the course and that I should consider buying a pair of free-diving fins which happened to be on sale at his shop. This is not the shop where I will be doing the training. Is there any truth to his statement and should I consider purchasing another type of fin before my rescue class?

Thanks!

I just finished my Rescue with Apollo Bio Fins (split fins) and did just fine. Its not an issue.

Take the class wearing what you dive with. Whats the point in learning how to rescue someone in gear you won't actually be in when the real life situation happens?

Thanks!
My bud and I used those. They're what we dive so they're what we trained in.

I should consider buying a pair of free-diving fins which happened to be on sale at his shop
Key sentence bolded by me.

Gotta give the guy credit for the attempt, though...

Train the way you dive. Dive the way you train.

The notion of gearing to "game" rescue class is absurd.

If they're adequate or not you'll soon find out on the course.
I used to dive with a pair of Dacor hinging fins (Panthers) that were extremely efficient at low speed because of the way they would hinge and push the water directly backwards. I probably had about 100 dives on them and I thought they were fantastic.
Then one day I had to effect a real rescue to tow an exhausted diver out of the surge zone against some rocks.
In a real emergency they were quite simply useless. They just hinged to 90 degrees on each power stroke and generated almost no additional thrust.
When I got home they went straight into the garbage and were replaced by a pair of Avanti Quattros that now have about 400 dives on them.

I agree with the salesman at the dive shop. You should buy his fins if you want them and think they would have a benefit over your current fins. Now that you'll be trained to rescue shouldnt your gear be ready for long surface swims pushing a disabled diver?

I get TONS of power with my Apollo Biofins. Effortlessly as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom