F*** this weather (or: I wanna get wet. NOW!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
It's been a couple of dry months. In more than one way. We haven't had any precipitation since before Christmas, and I haven't been in the water this side of New Year. Last dive was just before New Year, then I had to have my regs serviced, then this year's cold virus hit me with a vengeance. Three weeks of serious deep coughing and spitting slimy gobs. Fi-na-lly, I'm getting better. Just a light cough and a slightly runny nose, and the sun has started to rise again. Last time I was underwater, the sun's elevation at noon was a puny 3.5 degrees above the horizon, now it's up to 14 degrees. Yay, light! Maybe I wouldn't have to use flash to get a picture at all as soon as I'd dipped below 5m depth?

So, tank and gear packed in the trunk, three layers of wool donned and an appointment with a couple of clubmates set, I show up at one of our regular sites. It's blowing. Gale. Towards a rocky shore. I called the dive even before donning the gear.

On the plus side, I didn't have to rinse down the gear in temperatures around freezing...

Me too! I'm all wintered out! It's snowing right now! It's just been too cold to interest me in diving, plus my camera isn't working. I am Jonesin for a dive though. Soon.

We just got in the water here at Orange Grove Spring (Florida). Air temp around 64 Deg F and the water temp of course is always 71. First time in a month that we could dive and we plan on doing it again Sunday.

We just got in the water here at Orange Grove Spring (Florida). Air temp around 64 Deg F and the water temp of course is always 71. First time in a month that we could dive and we plan on doing it again Sunday.
Have you hit Troy springs recently? They've had a rough year as far as Viz goes from my understanding. They were closed most of last year, and I wonder if it's any better now.

Finally. Today, we had a very slight drizzle and no wind. After finding out that the site we initially planned wasn't directly available - at least not for the guys diving doubles - we ended up at one of the training sites. Wonderful viz, at least 20m, and nice, moderate temps. 5C air, 5C surface, 6C bottom. Saw some weird string-like transparent thingies floating in the top 5m, if I had to guess I'd say it was some kind of egg sacks.

20140216_SMOM2580.jpg

Back
Top Bottom