Our First Trip, So Many Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamato

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello fellow divers,
It's finally time for my first dive trip! Theresa and I were certified in early January and are very excited for our trip to Belize this week. We'e spent the last few days going over our training material to make sure we feel confident enough to enjoy our dives. It's come to our attention though that being our first time diving, we really don't know what to expect with a lot of the experience. Our largest area of concern is the protocol for the boat and how we dive from a boat. Basic things like, do we change on the boat? Are there places for us to secure our belongings during the dives? What are the big "no-no's" when diving from a boat? Will the dive master give us a briefing on what the current is like, what to avoid, etc? Simple stuff really, but things I don't want to be worrying about while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation. The weather looks rainy all week, does diving continue even if it rains?

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll have more questions as the day progresses!

All very much depends on the boat and the length of the trip. A very small boat with a very short trip you will likely change and gear up on shore and have the dive briefing on shore. As the trip gets longer and or the boat gets bigger you will gear up either as you approach the dive site or after you have arrived. Usually the DM or boat Captain will give you a dive briefing describing local conditions, current topography, and the dive plan before you get into your gear. Watch gearing up on a moving boat - for some (me) that is a recipie for seasickness.

Size of the boat will define the amount of storage available as well. However assume that personal storage will be minimal and personal dry storage even less. Rule of thumb take as little as possible, but don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen, a light top and for longer trips something a bit heavier for after the dive to keep warm.

Big no no is to spread your gear all over the deck, and get in everone else's way. Space on a boat is always at a premium so try to just occupy your fair share and keep out of the way of crew as they are docking/anchoring.

Final tip is to remember that you have to be comfortable diving - if you don't know ASK - never just assume something that is happening is OK. If you are uncomfortable with something question it until you are comfortable. Don't just go along because "everyone else" is doing something. Tell the people you will be diving with that this will be your first time from a boat. Usually people will be happy to offer tips. Far worse to pretend you know what is going on and then get yourself in trouble.

Diving in the rain just means you get wet sooner.

If you tell us where in Belize you will be diving from you will get a bit more specific advice as diving from Ambergrise on the local reef is significantly different than the the diving from Placencia for example.

Unless you're diving from a liveaboard, there won't be anywhere to change on the boat (or more accurately, anywhere you would want to change). Come wearing your swimsuit and a light cover up. Most 30' to 40' dive boats will have a covered area up front where you can keep things dry, but space is usually pretty limited. Dives will continue in the rain, unless winds pick up too much. You should get a briefing on each dive site. A few tips:

1) Make sure you have everything before you get on the boat. Check twice, as dive boats don't generally carry much extra gear, if any at all.

2) Keep all your gear close at hand and neatly stowed at all times. As Darnold9999 notes, space is at a premium.

3) Bring a mesh bag to carry your gear onto and off the boat. Much easier than trying to carry 20 pieces of loose gear.

4) Most boats will have a marine head, but on smaller boats you generally won't want to use it. Hit the bathroom before you get on, and plan on using the big bathroom off the stern between/after dives.

5) If you get seasick or don't know if you get seasick, bring appropriate meds.

6) Have fun! Divers are generally pretty cool people, in my experience. The boat rides out and back are great opportunities to meet people and learn about great locations for future dive trips.

James

If you tell us where in Belize you will be diving from you will get a bit more specific advice as diving from Ambergrise on the local reef is significantly different than the the diving from Placencia for example.

We are staying on Placencia at Robert's Grove resort. We have 5 days of diving planned, two tanks per day. Two days over a reef, 3 days looking for whale sharks.

Is there any reason for me to bring cash or ID on board?

From our Book, The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette, and The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving etiquette book 2, I offer the following tips, heavily edited for a reasonable length post:

Rules Of Etiquette On The Day Boat

USE A BOAT BAG
... a boat bag is a soft mesh duffle bag that can be collapsed to the size of a shoebox or smaller. It will hold all your gear, and it will not be in the way on the boat. Get one. Use one.
LISTEN TO THE BRIEFING... On every dive, please ... listen to the divemaster’s (and if applicable, the captain’s) briefing. ... To listen to the briefing means you are not doing anything else...
KEEP YOUR STUFF OUT OF THE CAMERA BUCKET/WASH most but not all day boats will have a large bucket or barrel filled with fresh water into which cameras and nothing else are placed. These camera buckets give expensive photo and video equipment a safe ride and keep them out of everyone’s way while on board. The camera bucket is not for you to dip your mask in, or to wash off your regulator or your computer or buoyancy vest or anything else.
DON’T SMOKE Here is a simple rule: No smoking. No smoking of anything, at all. Don’t even bring smoking materials on board...
PUKE ONLY WHERE APPROPRIATE Never puke on another diver. Never puke on the boat. Don’t puke in the camera bucket either. Puke over the side of the boat. That’s about all there is to it. ...
PEE ONLY WHERE AND WHEN APPROPRIATE The jury is in. The debate is over. It is ok to pee in your wetsuit when in the ocean. It is okay to climb back on the boat if you wait at least five minutes after peeing in your wetsuit in the ocean before re-boarding. It is not ok to pee in your wetsuit when on the boat. If you are on the boat and have to pee, and there is no head (toilet) on the boat, either hold it or jump in the water and pee. This works best if the boat is not moving and if you tell at least one other person, preferably a crew member, that you are jumping in for a minute. Once you have finished, wait five minutes and then re-board. Guys, it is not ok to lean over the gunwale, pull it out, and let fly. Ever. This is not ok for the ladies either, just in case you were wondering.
DON'T 'COMPLAIN" On the day boat, it is ok to introduce yourself to other divers and ask where they are from. Polite greetings and exchanges are appropriate. If you lack a dive buddy, it is appropriate to ask others on the boat if they have a buddy and, if not, if they will buddy with you. But don’t be a pest about it. After a dive, it is appropriate to share with others all the cool stuff you saw. That’s why we all dive. It is also ok to report any symptoms of decompression sickness or other injury or problems. In fact, always do that. Polite, pleasant and positive conversation is always appropriate. Other stuff is not. Here is a list of conversation don’ts:
* Don’t bitch at anyone on the boat, including your dive buddy, even if you are married to them.
* Don’t bitch to or about anyone on the boat crew
* Don’t bitch about the weather, the visibility, currents, or anything else beyond the control of the people you paid to take your diving today.
* Don’t use profanity at us or anyone else. Its bad manners.
* Don’t talk so loud that people not in your conversation end up being a part of it.
*Don’t criticize other divers. ... We hear husbands and wives speaking critically to each other before and after dives. Sometimes a parent will yell at or be critical of a child. Sometimes it’s a future ex-boyfriend criticizing his for-the-moment girlfriend. When any of this happens, it can totally suck all the positive energy off of the boat, and even out of the surrounding ocean....
PLEASE TIP Tip something. Tip in local currency if you can. Always tip in cash. If you are clueless as to what is appropriate, then tip five to ten dollars per tank per diver. That’s a fair range. The tip can be on the lower end if the services provided are minimal, more if someone set up your gear for you, changed out your tank, gave you a beverage and/or snack and/or lunch. You should tip more if the divemaster retrieved the piece of gear you dropped overboard, or saved your life, or did something else special like that. Some boats have a tip jar. We make a habit of asking if there is one, and usually ask loud enough so other people will hear us ask and hopefully tip. If there is a tip jar, put your entire tip in it. ...tip every day since the crew and dive masters may change daily.
Move slowly and carefully when you have your dive gear on....
Don’t loiter in the entry and exit areas. Once you have geared up and moved to the dive platform or other entry area, jump in, Signal the boat you are ok, and swim away from the entry area. If you need your camera handed to you, linger only long enough to receive it and then move out of the way. Moving off to the side is best. ...
Don’t crowd. Related to the “don’t loiter” ... Don’t crowd anywhere, any time, for any reason. Sometimes the dive boat can be quite cramped, especially when full. But when it isn’t, leave a little space between yourself and the next diver. You will both be happier, and it will be easier to gear up and strip off. If every “station” is full, then sometimes it pays to wait until the person next to you has gotten their gear on and left the boat before you put your gear on. .... don’t crowd when entering the water, either. Let the person ahead of you jump in, signal ok, and swim clear of the entry area before you jump in.... At the surface, don’t crowd on any line you might be holding onto awaiting your turn to board, and don’t crowd others on the boat ladder....
Don’t Touch Other People’s Stuff... This rule also applies to presumptive “borrowing.” As a rule, divers are a generous people, and, if you ask, they will share their
de-fog, their water, a tool for repairs, and sometimes spare parts or an extra mask. But ask first! Otherwise, don’t touch other people’s stuff. Not touching other people’s stuff necessarily includes not moving other people’s stuff. If someone has staked out their spot on the boat with their gear set up, boat bag under the seat, and towel secured in a dry area or tied to an overhead rail, leave it alone....
Move your stuff out of aisles on the dive boat. ...

Hope these comments are useful By the books to get the full discussion. And yes, most dive boats go our rain or shine (unless there is lightening) Have a great trip.
DivemasterDennis

O

i would recommend Dennis's books -- can get them in hard copy or ebook. worth the read to help answer your questions..

In Belize I am going to assume that you will for the most part have warmer waters. You may be able to dive in just a bathing suit and rash guard or if you are sensitive to the cold a 3 mm full suit would not be unreasonable. As for the changing you can either head to the boat in your bathing suit and change either on the dock before you get on the boat or take the wetsuit with you and put it on when you get closer to the actual dive spot. Part of the choice will be the size of the boat, smaller boats you should get into the wetsuit before you get on board and larger boats you can take it with you.

I travel with two sizes of dive bags. I have the larger size bag which goes in checked luggage for the airline. I also take a smaller mesh duffel that can hold at least the mask, fins, sunscreen, etc. You can always carry the BC by just putting on your back. If on the larger boat and I can take the bigger bag then just put all of my gear and wetsuit in big bag and go onboard. Smaller boats get changed first. See above posts for where to put your bag and gear.

You won't really have any place to really secure your belongings. Larger boats have spots where you can put towels and things to keep them dry but there are no lockers for valuables. You should take only what you need. I usually carry my drivers license, one credit card, and small amount of cash for tips. I also almost always have my cell phone with me so I put all the valuables in a small Pelikan hard case. Keeps it watertight and prevents the phone from accidental damage.

I also have a small dry sack I keep a towel and dry t-shirt. It can be a real challenge keeping things dry on a wet boat where everything else is wet and especially if it rains. I'd bring a small flashlight. The only problem with diving in the rain is that waves can get a little rough on top but under water the light gets dim as the clouds block the sunlight. Flashlight becomes very helpful in peeking into cracks.

Have a good time.

Wow, lot's of great information. Thank you everyone :)

I'll have to look into this book for future diving excursions. I'm glad I asked about the tips. I don't want to be "that" guy.

There are also many other threads on boat diving somewhere. My two big things are keep your stuff right by you and in order of putting it on. And bring a "dry" bag and find out where the dry area is. I never smoke my pipe on a dive boat, but I have read that some boats do allow smoking, not that that matters. Oh, also I wouldn't bring your log book (if you use one) if you have a place to leave it off the boat. I bring a pencil and paper for data. Check on the toilet facilities. The boat I was on in Panama had none, which could lead to a Warhammer, being in the Tropics.

Pay attention to the briefing and talk with the other divers (as mentioned) for assistance and ideas going forward. It's important to be upfront about your experience and letting others around you know - divers are very helpful to watch out for one another. As afar as changing, wear your wet suit to the dock to the boat - if you later find out you can change elsewhere you'll know for the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom