Back in the water again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
About a month and a half ago, my son and regular buddy came down with Bell's palsy. It was a pretty scary experience, especially before his brain CT scan showed nothing serious (I almost said "showed nothing", but that would leave me wide open for bad jokes...), and the recovery hasn't been too quick. He of course immediately grounded himself while the paralysis lasted, since we both agreed that trying to keep a regulator in your mouth with total paralysis in half of your face probably wasn't a very good idea. In the meantime, I've been diving with clubmates and other instabuddies.

Anyway, the last couple of weeks the recovery has sped up, and there are only small remnants of the paralysis now. So, since we had been planning a a bit of diving at the coast next week, we decided it was time to do a test dive to check if everything works out fine. The dive was quite benign; a simple, shallow and short shore dive. The surf was hardly noticeable, max depth was around 10m, most of the time we just mucked around in the shallows, so our average depth was only some 5m, and we were under for just a little more than half an hour.

Everything checked out fine, and we're finally ready for some of the good diving at the coast. Yay!

Good news! A friend currently as Bell's pals, rough stuff but she is expected to recover. Happy and safe diving!

Congrats to your son on his recovery...it is great to hear that his health has improved to the point you both can enjoy the great experience of diving together again. :)

Good to hear, a friend of mine needed 10 month to recovery. Scary stuff.

Best wishes to both of you ... and glad to hear your underwater therapy session went well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a very vague memory of reading a case report of hyperbaric oxygen being used to treat Bell's . . . maybe diving will help your son!

I have a very vague memory of reading a case report of hyperbaric oxygen being used to treat Bell's . . .

I knew we should have taken that nitrox cert...

---------- Post added July 15th, 2014 at 08:47 AM ----------

BTW, I got curious and did a search on the topic. Found one paper:

Racic G, Denoble PJ, Sprem N, Bojic L, Bota B. Hyperbaric oxygen as a therapy of Bell's palsy. Undersea Hyperb Med. 1997;24(1):35-8.
At the end of the follow-up period, 95.2% of subjects treated with HBO2, and 75.7% of subjects treated with prednisone recovered completely. The average time to complete the recovery in the HBO2 group was 22 days as opposed to 34.4 days in the control group (P < 0.001). [...] Our results suggest that HBO2 is more effective than prednisone in treatment of Bell's palsy.
PubMed link

And a meta-analysis in Cochrane:

Holland NJ, Bernstein JM, Hamilton JW.: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for Bell's palsy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Feb 15;2:CD007288. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD007288.pub2.
Our searches found no randomised controlled trials or quasi-randomised controlled trials that met the eligibility criteria for this review.There is very low quality evidence from one randomised trial involving 79 participants with acute Bell's palsy, but this study was excluded as the outcome assessor was not blinded to treatment allocation and thus did not meet pre-defined eligibility criteria. The trial compared 42 people who received hyperbaric oxygen therapy (2.8 atmospheres for 60 minutes twice daily, five days per week until the facial palsy resolved; maximum 30 'dives') and placebo tablets with 37 people who received placebo hyperbaric oxygen therapy (achieving only a normal partial pressure of oxygen) and prednisone (40 mg twice daily, reducing over eight days). Facial function recovered in more participants treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy than with prednisone (hyperbaric oxygen therapy, 40/42 (95%); prednisone, 28/37 (76%); risk ratio 1.26, 95% CI 1.04 to 1.53). There were no reported major complications and all participants completed the trial.

AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS:

Very low quality evidence from one trial suggests that hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be an effective treatment for moderate to severe Bell's palsy, but this study was excluded as the outcome assessor was not blinded to treatment allocation. Further randomised controlled trials are needed.
PubMed link

IOW, the jury is still out, and there's no conclusive evidence. OTOH, it doesn't seem as if it's doing any harm either.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom