Aqualung Titan LX for sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amilling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I want to get into sidemount diving, but have a limited budget. I have two sets of Aqaulungs Titan LX Supreme (1.+ 2. stage + manometer) and was wandering if I could reuse these two sets by just adding a long hose and short hoses for inflator and drysuit and two short HP hoses for the manometers?

My regs does not have a 5th port or swivel ports, but was hoping it would OK to use until I can afford upgrading with two Apeks DST+5th port.

Let me know your thoughts.

thanks

It's fine, not ideal, but I've done the same, using 1st stages without a 5th port. The routing isn't to bad, but I'll upgrade when I can.

I'm using an Apeks DS4 on right cylinder and an Apeks FSR on left cylinder.

I have first stages with 5th ports but still don't use them. The only thing you'll miss is the turret (swivel) which isn't a big deal. Only problem is you lose some length on your long hose (if you route them like I do).....but that's only a problem if you're doing single-file cave exits with a tall dive buddy. In OW, there's no problem at all.

Thanks, was also considering using a 90 degree elbow on the 1. stage (in leu of the 5th port), so I could get a straight hose routing for my inflator and drysuit. What do you think?

Thanks, was also considering using a 90 degree elbow on the 1. stage (in leu of the 5th port), so I could get a straight hose routing for my inflator and drysuit. What do you think?
I personally wouldn't do this. It's adding failure points and potential stress on the ports themselves as the 90 degree could act as a lever. Just my opinion though.

Agreed with previous, the thing with SM is that it's a continuous evolution, rig one way now, practice and then you'll discover new configurations/rigging that may work better as your needs evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they'll be just fine. I run poseidon first stages and everything runs down.
a pair of 6" HP hoses for gauges, and whatever hose lengths you want/need. I run a 40 or 44" hose on the left bottle so it goes down then back up, and use normal drysuit length inflator hoses for both. They run down into the tank bands and back up to the inflators so there is no pushing. The key here is that if you're doing that, shorter isn't always better because if the radius is too small it will push on the tanks, so you need them long enough that there is no residual torque in the hoses.

normal drysuit length inflator hoses for both. They run down into the tank bands and back up to the inflators so there is no pushing. The key here is that if you're doing that, shorter isn't always better because if the radius is too small it will push on the tanks, so you need them long enough that there is no residual torque in the hoses.

+1

That's exactly what and how I do it too.

If you're gonna stay with these 1st stages, you can get it to work, but it really doesn't feel as right as a swivel + 5th port.

The way i did it on FST (fully standard package), SPG (standard length) down and back up so it fits close to the valve. Octopus the same way (careful not to have them entangled). Short hose going up (else it was too short to breathe from). BCD inflator going down, through the first hose retainer, then running along with the corrugated hose. A miflex would have helped there. The way for the inflator is OBVIOUSLY not right if the hose comes from above your shoulder.
Didn't have a drysuit.

For the hoses at the 1st stage, turned it 90° so there were hoses going straight up and straight down. Up = regulators, down = SPG, inflator. With a drysuit hose running down, that starts to make quite a lot of hoses running there. (4 LP and 1 HP)

Had I kept this reg, I'd have bought: 90° elbow for the inflator, short hose for inflator, long hose for octopus, short SPG. (because it looks like my spg is doomed, can't open it to change the hose). It's true that you add a "failure point" (yet these guys have a swivel turret), but the stress you cause is very small if you're careful.

As for "i don't miss a 5th port, but i need a turret", that's rig dependent i guess.

Finally, rather than trying to fiddle with something that doesn't suit and spending $$$ on it to try to have something that's about right, i just bought a new one. If i were you I'd save for a while rather than getting the right length of hoses, angles etc. Except if you have them for free obviously.

Back
Top Bottom