Freediving Crab - Vancouver area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I am looking to free dive for dungeness crab in November off the Vancouver coast somewhere. Does anyone have any good recommendations where to go to try this?

Any other general tips for crab picking by hand?

I'm not sure what to expect. I've seen lots of videos of people free diving in Puget Sound and the water is loaded with big dungies left and right. Seems like it could be fun even if there was only a few!

Thanks!
Colton

/edit Somehow I managed to post this in the U.S. section (I think because I was reading another hand picking thread, but please feel free to leave ANY tips you have for freediving crab!)

The few times I've dove for dungees it was on scuba. I used to sneak up on them and pin them down to measure them then when I got my bag ready I would let them go and in a snap bring the open bag down over them and let them crawl back into the bag thinking it was a way to get away. Try not to smash the crab between the ocean floor and the wire ring of the game bag opening. Sometimes they would get up and run, and I mean run almost faster than I could sprint underwater with jet fins on.
Freediving might be a challenge, but I would probably use the same technique. Trying to handle them to get them into a bag would be near impossible since they would be locking onto anything to fight you and get away. On land you can hold them by a back leg and they can't get you, but underwater there is no safe way to handle them without getting nailed. I know a commercial crab guy who got one of his finger joints separated by an angry Dungeness crab. Rock crabs are even worse since they have huge claws and an attitude, we call those "Popeye's". I've had many metal bait canisters pryed open and destroyed by Popeye's.

The few times I've dove for dungees it was on scuba. I used to sneak up on them and pin them down to measure them then when I got my bag ready I would let them go and in a snap bring the open bag down over them and let them crawl back into the bag thinking it was a way to get away. Try not to smash the crab between the ocean floor and the wire ring of the game bag opening. Sometimes they would get up and run, and I mean run almost faster than I could sprint underwater with jet fins on.
Freediving might be a challenge, but I would probably use the same technique. Trying to handle them to get them into a bag would be near impossible since they would be locking onto anything to fight you and get away. On land you can hold them by a back leg and they can't get you, but underwater there is no safe way to handle them without getting nailed. I know a commercial crab guy who got one of his finger joints separated by an angry Dungeness crab. Rock crabs are even worse since they have huge claws and an attitude, we call those "Popeye's". I've had many metal bait canisters pryed open and destroyed by Popeye's.

Thanks for all the good info! I wouldn't have guessed they could run so fast. I've seen in the video's they can certainly move.. but maybe the water is distorting their true speed! I'll have to be extra careful of those popeye's. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom