mini-gauge & compass opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gomer Piles

Contributor
Reaction score
I just ordered a wrist mounted depth timer and what have you... My next purchase is going to be the Cressi-sub mini gauge (leaning toward this over the others at least - sway comments welcome)... But my question is do I get a 2 gauge system or do I get the 3 gauge w/ the compass? My original thoughts were to get the Suunto wrist mount SK-7 compass and not bother with the 3 gauge...

I'm not a big underwater navigation guy right now seeing as I don't have a compass but plan to do it more and more in the future... For those of you who do uw nav is it substantially easier to do it off your wrist than off your console? I think it may become a great pain in the *** to have to keep looking down and flip the console everytime I want a heading...

Sorry if this is post is sort of annoying with the number of questions involved... But I truely want to get a good feeling for this before I purchase... Seeing as this is one part of equipment I want to hold on to even after I upgrade so I can have a good backup system...

Opinions on this are very welcome (even on the choice of the brand of mini-gauge)... Thank you in advance...

P.S. Something I just thought of while posting this... Is there a reliable wristmounted miniature compass? And if so does it get to be a pain in the *** getting a proper heading off such a small gadget?

I would go with a wrist mounted compass, a wrist mounted depth/bottom timer, and I would stay away from the console.

Cressi makes great gauges, perhaps the best in the industry. They are that good. I have a brass high pressure gauge from them that is years old (certainly over ten years old), and it is still highly accurate; I have checked it against a digital gauge to know.

I am not sure what you mean by a mini gauge. If you are talking about one of the guages that goes directly into your high pressure port without a hose, I would stick away from that. On the other hand, I just got two of the smaller faced brass Cressi gauges for my deco bottles. They are about two-thirds the size of a standard gauge. I might have done only about four dives on them so far. So, that is no much of a track record to go by. If they are anything like the standard size one that I already have, and I believe that they are, I will continue to be happy about my decision for many years.

ScubaDadMiami:
I am not sure what you mean by a mini gauge.
By mini gauge I'm refering to a compact gauge setup... They are substantially smaller and thinner than normal gauges...

For future refrence these are the type of gauges I'm looking at and considering:
Cressi-Sub Mini 2 Gauge Console
Cressi-Sub Mini 3 Gauge Console
Scubapro Mini VIP 2 Gauge Console
Scubapro Mini VIP 3 Gauge Console

Note: I am not affiliated with Leisure Pro, Cressi, or Scubapro... I used leisure pro because it is a site that has both brands listed...

I used the VIP back when I started diving (without compass attached - I prefer wrist mount). It worked well and didn't have any problems. The VIP's SPGs are plastic faced and those are glued and then held by the plastic gauge "boot" - they are not that strong. While mine has held up well, I have seen other VIPs leaked and the guy who services my Scubapro equipment claims that they are quite fragileand often fail.

Thanks Vie & Miami... So far your post have told me what I had presumed to be true... I'm definitely leaning toward the independent systems and the Cressi brand name at the moment... I'm still open to other opinions on the subject however if anyone else is intrested in tossing in their $.02

Have you considered only getting a SPG and wrist mounted computer instead of the 2-gauge system. I will be more streamlined.
I would also get the wrist mounted compass. It is much easier to read and follow than a gauge mounted one, especially at night or in low visibility situations where I've noticed that my hoses where always too short to have the compass perfectly level.

Several have commented on SB about the Cressi gauges and they all like them. I am looking and going the same way myself, yes with a wrist compass also.
I look at it this way. I buy the console and then upgrade later to a computer. If I buy the console compass I will at least have to buy a boot to wrist mount it or buy the compass for the computer. I also have a back up with the mini gauge that will fit nicely in my gear box in case the computer takes a crap.

I find that wrist compasses are hard to see and require an unnatural wrist position to follow closely. (I teach in alot of low vis so you have to follow the compass closely) I like to use mine mounted on a retractor attached to my upper right side d ring. When stowed i don't know its there but when useing it i can hold it out in front of me in a natural trim position. (plus as i get older i can get it farther out so i can still read it!!) As far as consoles I would stay away from them if you plan to move on to any kind of technical diving, a simple pressure gauge and whatever wrist computer you prefer would make more sense. That way if you upgrade computers to nitrox or two gas you dont need to worry about it fitting the console.

We need to talk my friend.........what are you doing???

Back
Top Bottom