What to look for in a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsbeech

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving but have figured out right away that I want to utilize a dive computer. I have no idea what to look for and am looking for suggestions. I think that a wrist computer would be most comfortable for me, so if you have any ideas please pass them along.

Thanks!

xsbeech:
I am new to diving but have figured out right away that I want to utilize a dive computer. I have no idea what to look for and am looking for suggestions. I think that a wrist computer would be most comfortable for me, so if you have any ideas please pass them along.

Thanks!

It is a very personal decision... I prefer on a console instead of wrist. I like large numbers, audible alarms, water activation, user changable batteries. For me... Aeris. If someone wants a more conservative computer, then the Cressi Archimedes, or the Tusa (which is the same as the Nitek Duo except Tusa gives you a scratch protector) is a popular one.

scubatoys:
It is a very personal decision... I prefer on a console instead of wrist. I like large numbers, audible alarms, water activation, user changable batteries. For me... Aeris. If someone wants a more conservative computer, then the Cressi Archimedes, or the Tusa (which is the same as the Nitek Duo except Tusa gives you a scratch protector) is a popular one.
Larry,

Friday you and I spoke about how close the Aries and the Sherwood are. Thanks for the history lesson on dive computers. Just another reason why I love coming by the shop (yes a shameless plug for a good LDS and Internet Store, so sue me chuckle). The Wisdom worked quite well in the pool, and I am very happy with my it. I feel Sharon and I having the same computer will work out well for us.

I was just wondering why do you like the Aeries better (which is the one Suzie bought from you)?

Charley

CharleyT:
Larry,

Friday you and I spoke about how close the Aries and the Sherwood are. Thanks for the history lesson on dive computers. Just another reason why I love coming by the shop (yes a shameless plug for a good LDS and Internet Store, so sue me chuckle). The Wisdom worked quite well in the pool, and I am very happy with my it. I feel Sharon and I having the same computer will work out well for us.

I was just wondering why do you like the Aeries better (which is the one Suzie bought from you)?

Charley

The only reason is I like the "footprint" better... that is the way the display is horizontal and the hose attaches at an angle. If I clip it across my body, onto the D ring on my right shoulder, it has the computer positioned so I can just look down and see everything I need without using my hands. A subtle difference in the displays is also on the Sherwood, the largest number is the amount of air you have... on the Aeris - it's the amount of remaining time you have - whether air or nitrogen...

But really about the same - and just subtle differences. It's about the same diffence between a GMC Pickup and a Chevy... not much..

Back
Top Bottom