Advice on Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuber

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wrist mounted dive computer. While researching I keep coming across The Aeris 1. I only dive a couple times a year and am looking for something economical as well. Any suggestions out there?

You mean the Atmos 1 right? Hockey puck design that you can use in a console or on a wrist (with a SPG on the side)?

Good little unit for the $$$. Uses a Haldanean algorithm, so it is quite liberal but still good. But it is only an AIR computer, so if you want to dive Nitrox you might want to look at the Atmos 2. HERE is a comparison chart for all the computers they offer.

I have/had multiple ones from Oceanic (Pro Plus 2, VT PRO) and now dive with the Atom. They are made by the same company, and I believe Aeris is an Oceanic 'sister' company? Sort of like Mares & Dacor. They are reliable and offer good interface and are user friendly.

Actually, the Atmos 1 is not standard "hockey puck" size. If you want to put it in a console, you'll have to buy it in a console, or get the proper boot. Or you can get it as a wrist unit, and there is a retractor for it as well.

Probably the best little computer for under $170 - but it's only about another 100 bucks to move up to an Atmos 2 and have the potential to do Nitrox, plus you'll get audible alarms, a flashing led, and download capability. All that for about $270 is a nice little computer - and again - that's for a wrist unit, or hose mount.

If you are trying to put it into a boot you already have - you'll have to figure out what size computer fits your boot.

Scuber:
I only dive a couple times a year and am looking for something economical as well. Any suggestions out there?
Get a Uwatec Bottom Timer. Use it with tables. If you only dive a couple times a year anyway you need the review annually to be safe, and its about as economical and cost-effective as you'll ever going to find.

Scuber:
I'm looking for a wrist mounted dive computer. While researching I keep coming across The Aeris 1. I only dive a couple times a year and am looking for something economical as well. Any suggestions out there?
Take a look at the Suunto Gekko. It is wrist mounted and this site Dive computers is selling them for $240, up from $222 a couple weeks ago, but still $35 less than $275 at Leisurepro.com.

www.divetank.com is also having a big sale on suunto computers.

Doc Intrepid:
Get a Uwatec Bottom Timer. Use it with tables. If you only dive a couple times a year anyway you need the review annually to be safe, and its about as economical and cost-effective as you'll ever going to find.

By the time he buys the BT he could have bought the Atmos 1. Also many pros for buying the comp, like user replaceable battery.

Now comes the issue of remembering how to calculate multipal dives.

More bang for the buck...go for the comp.

Thanks for the advice! I decided on the Aeris Atmos 1. For a beginner, it seemed like the best choice. Maybe down the road I"ll upgrade to a nitrox dive computer.

Happy Holidays from MI. I hope someone out there is in warmer weather than I!! :palmtree:

Back
Top Bottom