Watch rather than computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mleary

Registered
Reaction score
As I am just starting out, rather than splash out on a computer I am looking for a digital watch that will display details like temp and depth for my own interest. Does such a thing exist?

mleary:
As I am just starting out, rather than splash out on a computer I am looking for a digital watch that will display details like temp and depth for my own interest. Does such a thing exist?

Hi, and welcome!

Yes, there are such things. But I'm curious about your comment that you want to know depth "for [your] own interest." Knowing your depth, especially without a computer, is not just of interest... it's life preservation.

Forgive my asking (nothing in your profile), but are you just starting a scuba course?

--Marek

mleary:

Welcome Mleary, welcome to SB. This is a great site for scuba info and help. Look around and I am sure you will find what you need.

With regard to your question. There are several compamies that make such watches. Citizen has the Hyper Aqualand series, Suunto makes a watch and Mares has the new Nemo. You will have to decide what you want based on your needs and budget. Take a look at these links:

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/article_1column.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673942444&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395903548

http://www.citizenwatch.com/us/frame_noflash.html

http://www.mares.com/product.asp

Let us know if you have any additional questons. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

mleary:

I agree with the last response: a computer/console is not an option -- you should not rely on a watch alone.

That said, I use a Citizen "Aqualand Duplex" that functions as a normal watch -- but also has basic dive functionality (depth, temp., time, etc.). Works great and provides a good redundant information source. I bought it a leisurepro.com.

It sounds like you want something along the lines of the Timex Helix DM. I have a couple still left. Check out this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t82497-.html
It is a basic digital watch that also displays depth and temp. It is also automatically activated once you descend past 5 feet in the Dive Track mode. I will be using mine either with tables as my timing device or as a backup to a computer when I get one (looking at the Mosquito).

Marek K:
Hi, and welcome!

Yes, there are such things. But I'm curious about your comment that you want to know depth "for [your] own interest." Knowing your depth, especially without a computer, is not just of interest... it's life preservation.

Forgive my asking (nothing in your profile), but are you just starting a scuba course?

--Marek

Hi Marek,

I have done the basic PADI certficate. I won't be going out alone and will be relying on my dive instrutor to have all the gadgets needed and therefore don't need to spend 100's on a computer as I'll just be following their lead.

I need a new watch so I thought I would get something useful!

mleary:
Hi Marek,

I have done the basic PADI certficate. I won't be going out alone and will be relying on my dive instrutor to have all the gadgets needed and therefore don't need to spend 100's on a computer as I'll just be following their lead.

I need a new watch so I thought I would get something useful!

Oh, OK. PADI Scuba Diver, right?

I assume you're not buying a regulator rig, but will be renting for a while. Thing is, even if you don't use a computer, just about any scuba rig you'll rent will have a pressure gauge and a depth gauge... and you'll still be responsible for keeping track of your own air pressure and depth, even though you'll be supervised... right? That's what I meant by it not being just for your information.

On the other hand, my impression is that most folks use a watch with a depth gauge -- like I do -- as a back-up to their computer... not as a primary depth gauge. For one thing, the display on a watch tends to be small. For another thing, with an "inexpensive" watch, the danger of flooding it (if you maybe press one of the buttons while underwater, for instance) is too high to depend on it as a primary gauge.

What I'm saying is, you're going to have a depth gauge with your regulator -- almost certainly an analog one.

Still, you're right... it wouldn't hurt to have a depth gauge watch for fun. The Timex Helix DM seems to be what you're looking for, but they're hard to find anymore. There are others similar out there, but not at that price...

--Marek

You still need to have your own gauges: depth, spg, compass, time. If you do get the watch, what other gauges are you planning on having?

Back
Top Bottom