Suunto Mosquito vs. Uwatec computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my cruise last week, I had the opportunity to try out a Suunto Mosquito. I really liked this computer. Not only was it small, it was easy to read and navigate through the functions.

When I got back home, I went to my LDS to see how much they'd sell me one for. To my surprise, they don't sell Suunto there, only Uwatec. I started to talk to them about the Uwatec ones, but they were all bigger and bulkier than the Mosquito. I can't find any other LDS in my area that sells Suunto. I've called several, and they all say the same - the initial buy-in is too high for them.

Is it worth going to the Internet to get a Suunto? Or would I be better off getting a Uwatec at my shop? Does anyone have a recommendation on what model to look at? I'm really looking for something under $400 if it's possible.

I've done some research on the Uwatec website, but they don't have one of those neat little comparison tools like Suunto does, and it makes the selection process very complicated. I do use a Uwatec Digital now, and will continue to do so as a backup, but I was hoping for something not quite so blocky as the Uwatecs.

My LDS recommended a Uwatec (I forget which) for $330 or so. LP has the Suunto for the same price. So cost really isn't a factor. I just like the Suunto more due to brand name recognition and the size of the computer. Was hoping Larry at Scubatoys would have it in stock, but no such luck.

My model of diving is rather conservative. I'm hoping to certify in nitrox next month, and someday I'd like to get into deco diving, but that's a good ways off. For now and the next few years I'm just planning on lots of recreational diving. At home, this means high altitude and cold fresh water. The rest of the time it will be warm water in the Carib.

Wijbrandus:
I started to talk to them about the Uwatec ones, but they were all bigger and bulkier than the Mosquito.

Scubapro/UWATEC do have new smaller computers, such as the Aladin TEC Wrist and Aladin PRIME Wrist, for this year—not sure if they are out yet.

http://www.scubapro.com/products/comps/al_tec_wrist/al_tec_wrist.asp
http://www.scubapro.com/products/comps/al_prime_wrist/al_prime_wrist.asp

The watch-size Xtender (formerly made for the Japan market) will also be available this year.

http://www.scubapro.com/products/comps/xtender_wrist_comp/xtender_wrist_comp.asp

Wijbrandus:
My model of diving is rather conservative. I'm hoping to certify in nitrox next month, and someday I'd like to get into deco diving, but that's a good ways off. For now and the next few years I'm just planning on lots of recreational diving. At home, this means high altitude and cold fresh water. The rest of the time it will be warm water in the Carib.

The Mosquito and the Xtender are very similar in size and capability. They utilize different algorithms (both quite conservative compared to PPS computers, i.e. Oceanic/Aeris, Sherwood etc.) and the Mosquito is Nitrox compatible from 21% to 50%, whereas the Xtender is Nitrox compatible from 21% to 99% (not that you’ll need it unless you’re planning to breath O2 during your last stop above 6msw).

ps you don’t need a computer for deco diving—just a reliable bottom timer is fine.

try divetank.net. authorized suunto dealers-I just bought a cobra from them after 11 years on an eon.

The Mosquito is an excellent recreational computer. Perhaps the best buy available--very user-friendly and intuitive.

One shortcoming for those of you headed toward tech or deco diving--the Mosquito will not operate in gauge mode. So it is not a tech computer and is also not a bottom timer. If you are definitely headed toward tech you may wish to upgrade a bit to the Stinger, Cobra, or Vytec.

theskull

theskull:
One shortcoming for those of you headed toward tech or deco diving--the Mosquito will not operate in gauge mode. So it is not a tech computer and is also not a bottom timer. If you are definitely headed toward tech you may wish to upgrade a bit to the Stinger, Cobra, or Vytec.

theskull

Skull,

Thanks for that tidbit of information. I did not know about that little snag.

I do already own a Uwatec Digital, which I've been using as my bottom timer and depth gauge. If and when I move into technical diving (quite a ways off), I will most likely continue to rely on this.

My interest in a dive computer is strictly for recreational diving when there is no set profile. Wall dives in particular make planning for a set depth problematic. On my last trip, I was able to approximate my dive plan through the use of the wheel and asking a lot of questions of the DM, but on the day I rented the computer, I discovered how much easier it is to just have a backup plan and allow the computer to do the work.

For wreck diving, or any other kind of dive where I know my goals, I pretty much will stick to my bottom timer and wheel. I don't see a need for a computer for these kind of dives. I really enjoy the walls though, and a computer gives me the freedom to really explore the nooks and crannys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom