DIR in a city without DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would really like to take the DIR-f class but the closest to me that it's offered as far as I know is about 950 miles away. (Calgary.)

I am not against travelling, but is this a practical way to do it? I gather that most people don't actually pass the certification the first time around. I tend to be the slow learning type, too - I tend to not get any of it until I get ALL of it, in all its devilish detail.

BTW I think they would probably find my gear acceptable; mostly Halcyon.

Thanks
-chris

Hi Chris,

My suggestion would be to setup a DIR-F class in your local area and bring in an instructor. I know it can be hard to get things going, but hang in there and it'll happen for you. There are a number of GUE instructors out there who travel and I'm sure would love to come up that way and do a DIR-F. If you would like more info on the route I took, please PM me and I'll be happy to help. :)

Good luck,

Hmm - how many students do you think it might take to make it worth an instructors while? (i.e. how much would they charge other than travel expenses?)

Unfortunately however, I think I might be an interested party of one...

Brando told me 5 students and a pool.

Now as soon as I get this darn pink pool thing blown up....

Rick Inman:
Now as soon as I get this darn pink pool thing blown up....

Will you video the swim test..... :eyebrow: !!!!

Well thanks guys but now that I think about it I suspect the politics of a PADI instructor bringing in a DIR instructor might not turn out ideally for me...

Too bad, though - I really would like to try it out.

doole:
Well thanks guys but now that I think about it I suspect the politics of a PADI instructor bringing in a DIR instructor might not turn out ideally for me...

As in you think that an instructor pursuing additional education to expand his/her own abilities and teaching ability are not "ideal" or that your LDS has rules in place against it?

Sorry - not actually trying to be facetious and maybe I just don't understand the "politics", but you apparently recognize that DIR-F would be beneficial to you as a diver (and thus make you a better instructor also)...just trying to figure out why you said what you did?

While not a SCUBA instructor (I'm a relatively new diver actually) I've been teaching in one way or another for close to 20 years and anytime I can take a class as a student I find that I become a better teacher for it - gives me a new perspective on the material and ways to approach my students.

btw - I'm in an area with no GUE instructors either, but Joe Talavera is coming over in a couple of weeks to teach a class for several of us... Seems like GUE instructors travel a LOT!

Aloha, Tim

doole:

That's precisely what we did here in Michigan. BCS is a PADI instructor, and he, Scot W. and myself brought in Andrew G and Mike Kane to do our classes.

Now BCS (Brando) is a GUE instuctor. So there's hope for you yet!!

Doole - call 'em up and bring 'em in. I too am a PADI instructor and and I had MHK, Sonya, Brando, and Scot come to our place to teach. It was fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom