How do you handle your light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been experimenting with left hand/right hand for the light, and was curious about how other divers keep their lights steady when they need to use their hands- such as when reading the SPG or dumping air from the BC. How do you keep from accidently signally your buddy every time you want to check you SPG? This is NOT about which hand is more DIR and when, but how do I handle the light so that my buddy doesn't think that I'm trying to get his attention when I use the hand that has the light attached?

I also wanted to know about situations when you need the light such as a gas switch on a cave or night dive. Is the incidental flashing something that you just live or have other divers figured out a way around this.

This argument again.....

*I* hold the light in my left hand unless I'm occupying my left hand with something like my SPG, in which case I just grab the light head with my right hand and hold it steady.

I keep the light cord *over* the long hose, which adds a step to the end of an air share (and does not complicate the actual donation), but keeps everything nice and simple, and gives me fewer things to have to remember when moving the light. When donating, I hold the light steady and simply donate the reg.. if it happened to be in my right hand at the time, I'd probably just drop it.

I don't like to wave my light around by keeping it in the left, as that alarms my buddy.

jonnythan:
This argument again.....

I don't like to wave my light around by keeping it in the left, as that alarms my buddy.

Most of the other threads I searched where about how to run the cable and which hand to use. I want to know what other divers do to keep from flashing their light around?

The more you dive with the light, the more you will realize that which hand it is in is simply a matter of what you are doing at that moment. If I understand it correctly, GUE instructors will guide you to have it in the left hand most of the time (easier there for donating gas to an OOA diver, if you are scootering, etc.). BUT there are times, such as in a high flow cave, that you might be pulling and gliding with the left hand, so you might transfer the light to the right. Again, no one is going to beat you over the head with the canister as long as you are thinking about what you are doing and putting it in the most appropriate hand for a given task. And when you are just cruising along, the preference is to have it in the left.

do it easy:
OK, I'm slowly sipping the kool aid with lots of vodka mixed in. I've been experimenting with left hand/right hand for the light, and was curious about how often do people switch hands and when?

I used to keep the light in my right hand, but lately, I prefer it in my left. I was reeling up a line with the light in my right hand and nearly gave myself seizures from all the flashing. The light in the left hand is easier to keep steady when using a reel, but what do people do when they check their SPG or dump their BC? Do you switch hands and then reach, or do you simply reach and light up behind/above you for the brief moment it takes to clip/unclip the SPG or reach the deflator?

I prefer to leave the light in my left hand, but I was wondering what others were doing.

Bonus Question- what do you do with the light when you are doing a gas switch in the dark, where you want your light to see with?

There are some air donation reasons to prefer the left too. But, the main reason is for scootering. You have to hold the light in your left hand when scootering. So, it is best to get used to it that way when swimming. This, like so many other things, affects a lot of small things. You wear a compass on your left wrist to keep the magnet from the scooter from interfering. So, your gauges are on your right. Since, your gauges are on your right, easier to have the light in the left to facilitate reading them, etc. But as others have said it is task dependent and you won't get much grief for swimming with the light in your right hand. Most people are more naturally comfortable with their right hand.

Also, the minute you are using your hands for much, even using a reel, it is better to clip off your light. A lot of tasks can be handled and more quickly, with your light in your hand. But, if there is a problem, you already have both hands free and don't haave to deal with the light.

do it easy:
Most of the other threads I searched where about how to run the cable and which hand to use. I want to know what other divers do to keep from flashing their light around?

There has been a lot of good info in this thread. Most of the time I run the light in my left hand until I need to check my gas, or accomplish some other task; then I briefly switch hands and usually thumb the light with my right hand. I found it works good even when scootering without letting off the trigger; and I can get away with not flashing any false light signals at my buddy that would irritate him.

Yup, if you need your left hand, you put the light in the right using a temporary hold. This temp hold is either grapping over the top of the light with the right hand, or using a thumb loop when scootering.

The best analogy I have heard for how to move the light as to not annoy your buddies, is move it like it is in honey.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom