White Finger tips..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerveza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just noticed today after diving (30 metres, 45 mins, avg depth 19.2metres, temp 16'C, on air) that when i was in the shower after my finger tips on my right hand were tingly, the shower water wasnt very warm by the way..(.i have noticed this now for a few showers after diving, maybe half a dozen or so),..today was the only time that i took notice to look at my fingers and lo and behold the two fingers furthest from my thumb on my right hand were an almost perfect white from the tip down to the first knuckle, after that they were normal, within 15 mins or so the tingling stopped and the fingers were as new, any ideas what causes this?..thanks

edit.... sorry i think i posted this in the wrong forum, maybe should go in diving medicine, thanks

Last edited:
Seayoda...you may not be a doctor but your instincts could be right, after checking the links you kindly provided it seems im a prime target for this
1) over 35...im 41
2) excessive use of power tools over the years... until recently i had spent over 20 years day in day out on the end of vibrating power tools,
3) and im a smoker...

ok the fags will have to go, (slight problem but not a mountain to climb really,)..the power tool problem is sorted as i am no longer in that business, .. alas i cant do nothing about the age thing, but 2 out of 3 aint bad...(theres a song in there somewhere)..thanks for the heads up, will look into it..

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

so what are the effects of this with deeper diving (80-120ft) with the reduced blood flow? Fingers going to take a hit from the reduced flow?

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

I dove with carpal for years. I didn't get white fingers from it. That being said, carpal tunnel release surgery took care of the numbness and lack of strength in the hands. My wife has Raynaud's and the symptoms the original poster described is what happens to her on a regular basis.

X

Work with a guy who experiences the same thing in cold temps. He was diagnosed with Raynaud's.

Cerveza,

As others have pointed out, Raynaud's should be high on the differential.

It's curious that the paresthesia was restricted to the distal tips of your 4th and 5th digits. This distribution is pretty consistent with ulnar nerve sensory coverage. Any recent injuries to your elbow? Fractures/dislocations of the humerus? Recent history of lacerations to the affected extremity? Most of the evidence still points to Raynaud's, but it's good to rule out other causes, which may be treatable.

I agree, Raynauld and carpal tunnel syndrome should both be considered. Stop smoking, and it might goes away. If pain persists with purple discoloration, you might have to consider vasculitis (perniosis).

Back
Top Bottom