Online Retailers & Warranties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering purchasing some Mares regulators and other gear from LeisurePro. I have spoken to them and they are helpful, have a good return policy and their prices are very good.

I want to make sure that these regulators are covered by the Mares warranty (or some type of warranty) if a problem develops. The fact that they are not an "authorized" dealer does not invalidate their abiility to provide service and support.

Many times the term "authorized dealer" is code for what is really a monopoly-like system to keep prices at higher than necessary pricing.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I hate LP and don't think anyone has any business buying anything from them, I have had numerous friends that have, and have had numerous problems obtaining warranty service-buyer beware-go to a local shop and try to give them the business if they won't wheel and deal then go to Larry at Toys, or some other on-line store-JMO

If you go online, go Scuba Toys. They are the best.

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was trying out my newly serviced reg in the pool of my LDS and my computer crapped out on me. He changed the battery but the thing still wouldn't work. It just died for some unknown reason. Since I bought the computer from him, he gave me a new one so I would have one for my trip in two weeks. That's one good reason to buy stuff like that from your LDS. Can't beat the service.
A wetsuit or something like that, I'll buy online because of the price difference.

I have purchased from LP for years now without issue. I even get my regs serviced there. I have also purchased from Scuba Toys and been very satisfied as well. I have also purchased from LDS's and been happy. It's your choice.

For the record, LP does provide a warranty and it's very good considering it isn't a man. warranty. Some people will complain about LP but some of them are LDS folks who have been brain washed and can't, by nature, offer a balanced opinion of LP and other online retailers. If this last comment offends anyone, then they are probably one of the "some" that can't offer a balanced opinion. If you aren't offended, then I probably wasn't talking about you, lol.:wink: I imagine some people would want to drown me if I just came out and said, "don't buy from your LDS, they suck, buy from the internet or LP." Of course it's ok for somebody else to slander a business because it's ONLINE and they don't see it or feel it or walk into it. It's still a business and in my opinion, it's not ok to slander anyone's business without a balanced response or prooof of wrong doing.

The fact is, times are changing, and here we are ON THE INTERNET, discussing if online purchases are ok, lol. Yes, they are. Not better or worse in all cases, but yes they are ok and if you choose and do your homework wisely, then you will probably be just fine. LP was (not sure if they still are) doing a lot of advertising here on Scuba Board so I think it is safe to say that LP has helped provide some of your answers today, lol. Enjoy your new gear, wherever you buy it from!:D

I tend to agree with what you say especially "The fact is, times are changing, and here we are ON THE INTERNET". I don't always hear the most flattering remarks made about LDSs also.

One thing I won't do though is go to an LDS , waste the guy's time and energy and then buy online.

scubadobadoo:
I have purchased from LP for years now without issue. I even get my regs serviced there. I have also purchased from Scuba Toys and been very satisfied as well. I have also purchased from LDS's and been happy. It's your choice.

For the record, LP does provide a warranty and it's very good considering it isn't a man. warranty. Some people will complain about LP but some of them are LDS folks who have been brain washed and can't, by nature, offer a balanced opinion of LP and other online retailers. If this last comment offends anyone, then they are probably one of the "some" that can't offer a balanced opinion. If you aren't offended, then I probably wasn't talking about you, lol.:wink: I imagine some people would want to drown me if I just came out and said, "don't buy from your LDS, they suck, buy from the internet or LP." Of course it's ok for somebody else to slander a business because it's ONLINE and they don't see it or feel it or walk into it. It's still a business and in my opinion, it's not ok to slander anyone's business without a balanced response or prooof of wrong doing.

The fact is, times are changing, and here we are ON THE INTERNET, discussing if online purchases are ok, lol. Yes, they are. Not better or worse in all cases, but yes they are ok and if you choose and do your homework wisely, then you will probably be just fine. LP was (not sure if they still are) doing a lot of advertising here on Scuba Board so I think it is safe to say that LP has helped provide some of your answers today, lol. Enjoy your new gear, wherever you buy it from!:D

scubadobadoo:

But for you, LP is an LDS.:D I've gone to their store and bought stuff, like fins, that I wanted to try on. If I were closer to them, they would be my LDS I suppose. I'm not saying that if I had bought my computer from them, they wouldn't have swapped it out for me without making me go through the hassle of sending it back to scubapro knowing I wouldn't have had enough time to get it back for my trip. I bought my son a wetsuit from ScubaToys and the guy was really nice when I told him the time frame of the trip and and assured me we would have enough time to exhange his suit if it didn't fit. I have never really had a problem with Leisurepro, Scubatoys, Divers Direct or my LDS.

Michael Schlink:
I hate LP and don't think anyone has any business buying anything from them, I have had numerous friends that have, and have had numerous problems obtaining warranty service-buyer beware-go to a local shop and try to give them the business if they won't wheel and deal then go to Larry at Toys, or some other on-line store-JMO

Mostly my comments above were directed at blanket statements like this one.

The word "Numerous" bothers me. If it's true, then it leads me to believe that you and your friends deserved the "problems" you speak of. How is it that so many of your friends have had issues and yet you ALL still dealt with LP? I don't think it's possible to have that much defective gear just in one small sampling of individuals in Texas. Man, you guys have some bad luck.:wink:

I do agree with the Scuba Toys comment however, but not because I think they are better than LP or any other LDS.

Uhhh. No problem dealing with LP in this part of Texas. Maybe its the humidity and traffic in Houston?

I have not had the problems some note from online dealers. I still like my LDS, too. Whatever floats your boat, I say.

Howdy

Leisure Pro has treated me well to date although I've only purchased accessories and a UK C4 from them. No need yet for any warranty exercise.

Dane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom