Banged out two of my DM "Stamina" requirements tonight...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Knocked the tread out with no problem - I'm ever so slightly poz-buoyant so I just hung motionless in the deep end for 13 minutes chatting with my instructor. Then when I had to put my hands out of the water for the last two I had to kick every now and again.

I think the instructor was secretly ticked to have to "monitor" me for 15 minutes without even get to see me work at it.

:)

Originally scheduled to do the 400yd swim next week, but was feeling good about doing it tonight so asked if I could do that as well....

8min, 10 seconds. I would have pushed a bit harder to get under 8 if I knew it was gonna be that close - or I would have sandbagged a bit and come in just under 10 and not worked so hard.

I'm sure I would have come in under 8min if I had done the swim in the lake instead of the pool. Gotta figure I lost much more than 10secs turning around 20 times. (Not allowed to push off on the turns.)

At least I have the 800yd swim in open water to look forward to. Get to do that back to back with the tired diver tow and the rescue scenario.

Good job! Congratulations!! I didn't do mine back to back and it doesn't bother me a bit. Ha!

way to go! I have done all my stamina exercises except 400Y - did my rescue but get to do it again since you can't practice it enough(?)

On my 800Y I was all ready to stop at 16 laps when I realized I was only 1/2 done, good thing no one can see you cry in the water..(kidding!!)

have fun!

I have yet to start any of my swims and I'm already wanting to cry just thinking about the 800! Boo hoo for me.

I know, suck it up!

Congrats.. That is a ton of work...It amazes us all find out what we can really do when faced with the opportunity

Have fun, I feel for you. I completed mine in July.

RJP:
I'm sure I would have come in under 8min if I had done the swim in the lake instead of the pool. Gotta figure I lost much more than 10secs turning around 20 times. (Not allowed to push off on the turns.)

Really? We were allowed to push off on the turns, but I don't know if it saved much time since it was a 50m pool... The tread was fun & the 400 and tow were fine, but that 800 had my ankles feeling like jelly afterwards... lol..

Great work. Great time. Try it without the scooter next time!:D

I was sweating the DM swim requirements also. I went to the local YMCA (after many attempts to get in the YWCA lockers...the wig didn't fool them) and swam about half of the 25 yard length and just died! I thought I was in shape with basketball and weight lifting, but it meant nothing in the water.

Anyway, the next day I went back and completed a lap. The next day: 2, then 5, then 12. Within 2 weeks I was swimming 3 sets of 400 yards; all in under 9 minutes.

My point is: To those worrying about the swim requirements, don't. Just get in and practice. Your body will adapt and it becomes second nature VERY quickly. Remember, I started at less than 25 yards!

I also found that in order to make the time and feed my engine, I took a breath on every stroke...in other words, each time my left arm was in the water, I was taking a breath. Might make the difference.

After you pass, you'll get the admiration of all those you help and minimum wage (or nothing) to boot!:D

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom