Log Book Signatures?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a new diver I only have 12 dives in my log book. The last 9 dives were done with my Aeris Elite computer so the log contains a graph of depth, time, etc. Is it necessary to have your dive buddy sign your log book? Do most of you who get a buddies signature, just get them to sign on a blank page after the dive? I know some people can enter information during a surface interval or immediately after a dive but that hasn't worked for me.

I always do my log later, the night of the dives when I can download information. Because I do it at the end of the day I do not get the opportunity to get signatures. So, just wondering how important signatures are to a log book when you have computer data to verify that you actually did the dive?

The only signitures that you might need "later" would be on your training pages, in case you loose a card.

Getting your buddy to sign your log book is completely up to you.

Some instructors used to teach that you had to do it, but I rarely see that naymore.

I would say that I very seldom see someone asking that anymore.

There is no real need for "official verification". It was originally done so you could have someone to prove you did the dives. But have you ever seen anyone actually try to call you on that or verify it? nope... not really.

Like Wilke said, it's not a bad idea to get your instructor to sign dives off that you took as part of official training.

Other than that, it's a novelty idea.

I have actually had two dive ops ask to see my log book. Neither cared that there were no signatures (other than training dives). I think they were curious if I had been diving in places that had currents and if I didn't have a logbook with me I think they would have just asked me about my diving. It isn't a bad idea to have a record of your dives just to be able to refer to it.

If I enjoyed diving with the Buddy, then I get them to sign the log for memory's sake, if nothing else. If they aren't someone I'd dive with in the future, I'll end up leaving that part of my page blank. When I sign a buddy's log, I don't verify his/her information they put on the page, I'm just happy they enjoyed diving with me enough to ask me to sign it. Of course, not everyone treats their log book as I do, but I feel it's a privilege to sign someone's log book, not a necessity.

There are a lot of divers that don't even keep a log book. I always have and I love to get as many signatures as I can. Actually I have signatures for all my dives so far. I look at my log as a journal of sorts, it's something to look back on someday. Signatures are always good to have, in my opinion. I don't always read the info on the logs I sign and I do have people sign blank logs often, just because it would be impractical to hold them up.

I make my own log books and have a place to get emails and addresses of those I want to keep in touch with.

Logbook signatures are not required but it is nice to have someone occasionally sign your log after, say, a memorable dive. If you are diving in an exotic place or it was some special dive, asking your buddy or a DM or boat captain to lay on a John Hancock can make it more memorable.

Jeff

I always get a signature for every dive. Many of my dives are done with DMs or SIs and I like having their "John Hancock" for the dive. Even if no DM or SI is along for the dive then I have my buddy sign off and I sign off on theirs. I put as many details into my dive log as possible for later review. It is fun to sometimes refresh those memories when perusing my logbook at a later date. But I'm a newbie so every dive is exciting still.

I've also heard that certain specialty certifications will allow dives to count towards the cert if done under the right conditions and with a SI.

First of all - congrats on getting certified and welcome to the underwater world. It's like nothing topside!

Just make sure that your training dives are signed by your instructor. Other than that it's up to you. As was previously mentioned - if you've experienced a particularly good dive with a new buddy / divemaster - you can make it "signature worthy" and get a John Hancock.

Personally, when I conduct a Scientific Diver check-out dive for my job and am asked to sign a logbook, I really appreciate it.

Again - congrats!

John

Remember that the log book is for you. Not for anyone else.

If you like to get your buddies to sign your log book, go for it :) For the first few dives, I did. But after that, it's just not always easy to do (i.e. standing in a parking lot in the snow packing up dive gear, I'm just happy to go home and thaw out).

Enjoy your dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom