Leisurepro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was considering getting an Aqualung 1st stage and 2nd stage, plus a suunto console from Leisure pro. The price they have is almost half the LDS price. I understand the warranty issue. My question is, has anybody here delt with leisurepro before, are they a good reputable company. I figure they have to be safer than ebay in that I would know for sure that the gear was at least brand new.

Thx.
Dave.​

If you buy AquaLung gear from an authorized dealer you get free service parts for your annual service, if you buy it without the warranty you will have to pay for these parts every year which will quickly eat the savings you get at the beginning.

I just bought a set of lights from LP and they were an opened box once they arrived, works fine but was not a new set so to speak.

For the record I do not work for or own a dive shop this is just my opinion.

I'm glad you brought this up. I too was looking at an Aqua Lung reg at LP. I know that they are not "factory authorized" on many products and have their own warranty. This should be fine on the items I've bought from them including 2 of the same dive computer. However, there is the issue of free parts on the annual service as mentioned above. It is difficult to believe that this would amount to anything close to the 50% savings. You could buy 2 and use one for parts for that much savings!

f you buy it without the warranty you will have to pay for these parts every year which will quickly eat the savings you get at the beginning

Not having my own reg and thus not having had to have an annual service, I'd really be interested to know how much the parts cost for this. I can imagine a some o-rings and/or seals but other than that how much could it be?

I would certainly think it would be safer (at least you have their warranty & return policy) than buying on eBay. BTW - LP does also sell on eBay (same prices).

I checked scuba.com & scubatoys.com and neither have Aqua Lung listed on their sites. I would guess that Aqua Lung prohibits online sales. Since scubatoys has a store front you might call them and see if they carry Aqua Lung in the store and if so what sort of deal they can make.

-Mark-

I guess I've spent over $5K with Leisure-Pro and I've never had any issues with them.

the K

However, there is the issue of free parts on the annual service as mentioned above. It is difficult to believe that this would amount to anything close to the 50% savings. You could buy 2 and use one for parts for that much savings!

Not having my own reg and thus not having had to have an annual service, I'd really be interested to know how much the parts cost for this. I can imagine a some o-rings and/or seals but other than that how much could it be?

There is nothing wrong with the merchandise you purchase from LeisurePro. The regulators are the same ones you purchase from an authorized dealer. But since LP isn't an authorized dealer, you don't get a manufacturer's warranty.

Annual service parts for a regulator and computer will cost $40-$90 depending on the reg/computer.

Don't forget the crap some LDSes give people about online purchases. Your LDS might not want to service your gear.

Do you have a certified aqualung tech nearby? If not, you will have to ship your regs to somebody for any service needs. This takes time and money. LP has a service center that can perform your maintenance for you if needed.

Not all of their items are a great deal. The Oceanic Delta IV regs I use they sell for $479.95. My LDS sells them for $519.99, but offers 10% off for students taking classes from them and 20% for many good customers. I have 3 Delta IVs and I paid about $400 for each of them. That's $80 LESS than LP and I get the full manufacturer warranty.

Before you assume LP has the best price, ask your LDS if they will match the price or give you a competitive one. Many shops will.

I'm glad you brought this up. I too was looking at an Aqua Lung reg at LP. I know that they are not "factory authorized" on many products and have their own warranty. This should be fine on the items I've bought from them including 2 of the same dive computer. However, there is the issue of free parts on the annual service as mentioned above. It is difficult to believe that this would amount to anything close to the 50% savings. You could buy 2 and use one for parts for that much savings!

I would certainly think it would be safer (at least you have their warranty & return policy) than buying on eBay. BTW - LP does also sell on eBay (same prices).

I checked scuba.com & scubatoys.com and neither have Aqua Lung listed on their sites. I would guess that Aqua Lung prohibits online sales. Since scubatoys has a store front you might call them and see if they carry Aqua Lung in the store and if so what sort of deal they can make.

-Mark-

If I had to pay for parts, my Titan LX would be $130 / yr for service. Having the parts plan, it's $80.

I bought my Cobra from LP and it's been fine. However, if I had to send it back, I know can get by without it for a while. My reg on the other hand I've had to bring back many times for adjustments and repairs from general use / abuse (over and above annual service) and it would be a MAJOR PITA to have to send it out every time.

Also, the differnce in cost between my LDS and LP on the reg was about 30%, not half. The computer on the other hand was close to double but not quite.

Also, my understanding of the parts plan is actually one rebuild kit per year for 6 years, not free parts for life. I've got several regs so perhaps I'm confused but that's my recollection.

Leisurepro matches the manufacturers warranty....As long as you have it serviced by them, the free parts for life should apply. I've dealt with LP many times with no issues. Leisurepro Brett can answer this question though if I'm wrong.

If you send the reg to LP for service, parts are included. Don't have regs from LP, but do buy little items once in awhile. Never any problems. Why people have their computers "serviced" on an annual basis is beyond me.

If I had to pay for parts, my Titan LX would be $130 / yr for service. Having the parts plan, it's $80.

So is that $50 for the parts and $80 for the service? Does the service cost (not including parts) for different regs vary? I'm sure the price varies from region to region but I'd be interested to know what the service costs are (particularly around So Cal).

I looked on LP to see if I could find servicing pricing, but found nothing. One LDS here posts prices of $40 (not including parts) for complete overhaul and $20 for the annual. I'm assuming that this is for "any" regulator they service. That seems reasonable.

-Mark-

One LDS here posts prices of $40 (not including parts) for complete overhaul and $20 for the annual. I'm assuming that this is for "any" regulator they service. That seems reasonable.

Reasonable? No. That's pretty damn good! My LDS charges $35 for annuals.

Back
Top Bottom