DIRF skills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I have read the DIR book and all the posts on the classes which have been attended by various people on the board, here are my questions for today:

1) What are the details on the dry land practice for the various kicks. What can I do to practice these...I recall everyone stating that if your back is seriously sore, you're doing it right. Any specifics?

2) What is the difference between the modified frog kick and the frog kick?

3) Where is all the controvercial stuff in the book which has everyone all up in arms claiming it's some sort of a cult running around worshipping GI3 etc. :wink: Perhaps I got the edited for public consumption version.:D

Hey did anyone notice the reversed photo...maybe if I hold it up to the mirror in the right light all the hidden knowledge will be suddenly revealed.

Great book...I really like the rescue portion too.

bwerb wrote...
What is the difference between the modified frog kick and the frog kick?
Standard OW frog involves some movement from the hip.

Modified frog (what GUE calls the regular frog) involves movement only at the knee and below.

Double modified frog (GUE's modified frog) involves only ankle movements.

Tip: finish with your fin tips pointed above the horizontal plane.

bwerb once bubbled...
I have read the DIR book and all the posts on the classes which have been attended by various people on the board, here are my questions for today:

1) What are the details on the dry land practice for the various kicks. What can I do to practice these...I recall everyone stating that if your back is seriously sore, you're doing it right. Any specifics?

Well... let's start with an exercise for the lower back to prepare you...

*Start lying on your stomach with your arms out in front of you. Either the "superman" pose or with your hands one a-top the other.

*Lift your arms and chin off the ground

*Simultaneously lift your knees off the ground.

*Your knees and arms will be approximately the same height off the ground. Your stomach will the the lowest point.

This will strengthen your lower back and prepare you for the proper position in the water to execute your kicks and maneuver around your Center of Gravity (COG).

Most people that are "Frog Kickers" have a flat body line but don't arch the back properly. By lifting the head, you have a better "field of vision", but to do so you have to lift your knees to compensate and keep proper trim. This also helps to ensure that the knees are off the bottom and not stirring things up.

I like to scoot along 6-12" off the bottom and look back occasionally to see if I'm stirring anything up. If your knees are down some, you'll still get those tiny swirls of silt even though your fins are well off the bottom.

HTH,
wb

bwerb once bubbled...
I...
3) Where is all the controvercial stuff in the book which has everyone all up in arms claiming it's some sort of a cult running around worshipping GI3 etc. :wink: Perhaps I got the edited for public consumption version.:D

Hey did anyone notice the reversed photo...maybe if I hold it up to the mirror in the right light all the hidden knowledge will be suddenly revealed.

You have to go down to High Springs in person to get inducted into the cult by the Gate Keeper to receive the Keys to the Hidden Knowledge from the Key Master. It happens after you complete GUE CaveII. Midnight ceremony, hooded cloaks, torches, sacrifice of a stroke, the usual drill. Then they give you the Photo Reverser, so you can see the True Images in the book.

to the rescue portion. Pretty much I agree with it as it is all pretty standard stuff.

What I do NOT agree with is the use of the secondary scuba regulator as a means of mechanical rescusitation. I know in the book that they mention keeping someone ventilated for several minutes with this procedure. Recent experience with this method in practice proved ineffective unless the exhaust valve was held closed and then it seemed that the air pressure provided was way too much. IMHO this would lead to lung tissue damage and gastric insufflation with the the likely proability of regurgitation and possible aspiration into the victims lungs.

I wish they had left out the comments about this technique and focused on proper rescue breathing techniques.

Other than that I thought it was a good book.

WJL once bubbled...

You have to go down to High Springs in person to get inducted into the cult by the Gate Keeper to receive the Keys to the Hidden Knowledge from the Key Master. It happens after you complete GUE CaveII. Midnight ceremony, hooded cloaks, torches, sacrifice of a stroke, the usual drill. Then they give you the Photo Reverser, so you can see the True Images in the book.

It's the Cricket Bat part that everybody loves most.....

THANK YOU SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? :)

Popeye once bubbled...

It's the Cricket Bat part that everybody loves most.....

THANK YOU SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? :)

Psssssst, dont tell anyone but the hooded figure wielding the bat looks suspicously like O-ring (the birthday hat on top of the hood gave it away).

The other cloaked figure standing in the shadows holding a wiffle bat looks like some sort of mis-shapen troll, but it's too dark to make out the features...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom