Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How many calories does diving burn?

Single Diver

I state that I am on the
    boards.

Dives
    200 - 499

How many calories does diving burn?

I was wondering, along with a lot of other people in our boat today...

Does anyone know how many calories, on average, diving burns? Obviously it varies from diver to diver and per environment but someone had to done some research on this?

Anyone have a ball park number per amount of time and temp?

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Using blades or split-fins? With Split-fins you gain weight because they are so efficient it like sitting in your easy-chair eating a bowl of Cheeto's!

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Not enough, not enough.

Of course one cannot determine a set amount of calories that would apply to all divers (physical condition, gender, activity level underwater, etc.) and all environments (ice diving, dry/wet suit, tropical).
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Single Diver

I state that I am on the
    boards.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    Not enough, not enough.

Of course one cannot determine a set amount of calories that would apply to all divers (physical condition, gender, activity level underwater, etc.) and all environments (ice diving, dry/wet suit, tropical).
    True, but much like running, there must be some chart or rough average number.

Solo Diver

Not tilting Maui's windmills!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    If you are a good diver, not many dives are strenuous. You burn calories sitting on the couch or sleeping. Especially boat diving, you should hit the gym or the treadmil before you reward yourself with ice cream (after a suitable SI).

Olympus EPL-3 / 10Bar / INON AD's / Ike DS160, QR Arm & EV / Nikonus SB-101 Tray (mod)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Couldn't give you a number, but when I was on a 4-day, 14 dive liveaboard I lost some weight even though I ate like a pig, so I guess it burns some.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Skindiving, scuba diving, general 8 cal per minute according to FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal, I know that it makes me ravenous! But so does most everything

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Anecdotally one dive will not offset going out for a good feed afterwards. If were managing to make 2 tank outings then the scale starts to do favorable things. I have learned to watch for this in the fall when we drop back to 1 tank days.

The temperature is only meaningful when the effectiveness of exposure protection is factored in.

I agree the at done right the actual dive is not a big calorie burner.

Keeping busy with the prep and cleanup helps. Also making the time to dive is a distraction as I run a round getting the "gotta dos" done.

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
    True, but much like running, there must be some chart or rough average number.
    As I understand, most running chart has weight and speed as the variables.

I don't see folks doing laps while scuba diving. You puts around, puddle around, muck around, occasionally sprint a short distance.... How the heck are you going to quantitate that?

Next, you add thermal protection, the kid who is shivering so you can hear his teeth chatter underwater, is going to burn more calorie than the overweight guy with his 7 mm.

Next, you add current.

So, you can see, you have the old guys like Thalassamania, who is finning along like a man pushing a walker.... to the young ones trying to impress his buddy by his torpedo speed (until he burned through his tank in 10 minutes).... You just can't quantitate such thing.

I agree with Halemano, scuba diving to me is more like a casual stroll down the park. Rarely do you kick it in high gear, and even then, it is only a short distance. Most folks don't even reach aerobic level, except if you did a shore dive and have to take the gears back up the hill to get back to the parking lot.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

LI DIver plausible....

8 per minute sounds plausible. I recall in my second pool session thinking that I must be burning 4 times as many calories putting the full wetsuit on than as I was actually diving.
    Lirpa246 likes this.
    "JUST WHAT PART OF DON'T DO THAT!!!! WAS SO GD HARD TO UNDERSTAND???"
    Wayward Son post

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast