What is tec diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hear the term thrown around a lot and while BC shopping my LDS DI showed me his BC and commented it was set up for "tec" diving.

Here's what it says above the Technical Diving scubaboard forum:

Technical Diving Specialties -Advanced and focused aspects of scuba diving with a technical training edge, ranging from caverns and caves, public safety diving, wreck penetrations to decompression diving and everything in between.

As to the BC, I think the reference means it can be used with a set of double tanks.

Getting into Tech Diving

As divers become more experienced and more educated with training a natural progression occurs towards diving with Nitrox (defined below). This in itself is the first step towards becoming a technical diver. The advantages are clear, better bottom dives and less post diving affects associated with with usingair (nitrogen loading and fatigue is accepted by all to being reduced when using Nitrox), though this comes at a price. The diver is constrained to a Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) which reflects the Nitrox mix being used for the dive.

The additional dangers of diving with Nitrox than with air are made very clear on the PADI Nitrox course, the dreaded Oxygen Toxicity. This is generally fatal at depth due to the associated convulsions which cause the diver to drown (unless a full face mask is worn). What is worse there is very little indication something that might be wrong before the convulsions begin.

Read Full article

WHere did that come from? Tech diving does not always mean Nitrox nor do all technical divers use nitrox. While not advisable there are those who still do deep air. Technical diving usually means that you no longer have a direct route to the surface for what ever reason. Be it a cave or cavern ceiling, a wreck, or a ceiling imposed by mandatory decompression stops. That sounds like it's right out of the PADI nitrox manual. If so take it with a grain of salt. Technical diving can also be viewed as more than ever you are responsible for your own ass. From planning the dive to surfacing. Your buddy or teammate will be there to assist you but if you cannot plan the dive, your gas consumption, exercise self rescue in very challenging situations, and recognize that this will kill you very quickly if you screw up and accept that then you're not ready. Technical diving also tends to be very expensive and gear intensive. Doubles, mutiple regs, stages, lights, lift bags, and usually dry suits. We also think of technical diving when whatever we are doing is beyond recreational limits. That can easily involve things that were noted above. Nitrox is not a factor unless introduced by you the diver.

Getting into Tech Diving

As divers become more experienced and more educated with training a natural progression occurs towards diving with Nitrox (defined below). This in itself is the first step towards becoming a technical diver. The advantages are clear, better bottom dives and less post diving affects associated with with usingair (nitrogen loading and fatigue is accepted by all to being reduced when using Nitrox), though this comes at a price. The diver is constrained to a Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) which reflects the Nitrox mix being used for the dive.

The additional dangers of diving with Nitrox than with air are made very clear on the PADI Nitrox course, the dreaded Oxygen Toxicity. This is generally fatal at depth due to the associated convulsions which cause the diver to drown (unless a full face mask is worn). What is worse there is very little indication something that might be wrong before the convulsions begin.

Read Full article

You are kidding right? Is this really your answer to the OP's question?

here is one definition for you: "technical diving usually involves diving beyond recreational and no decompression limits utilizing multiple gases and decompression strategies".

You are kidding right? Is this really your answer to the OP's question?

here is one definition for you: "technical diving usually involves diving beyond recreational and no decompression limits utilizing multiple gases and decompression strategies".

The SB member did not state whether they wanted someone to copy a technical explanation out of a wiki or to have the excerpt of an article with the complete article shown on someones experience. If you think telling a non technical diver that technical diving means"usually involves diving beyond recreational and no decompression limits utilizing multiple gases and decompression strategies" then go ahead.

I hear the term thrown around a lot and while BC shopping my LDS DI showed me his BC and commented it was set up for "tec" diving.

If the BC your LDS showed you was a standard one piece thing, it is not "set up for tec diving". Tech divers typically use a backplate and wings (bp/w) or sidemount harnesses. Although bp/w's are not just for tech diving. In fact, they are quite versatile and can be used in almost any type of diving.

As for tech diving, it is typically described as diving in which you have a ceiling, either real (cave or wreck penetration diving) or decompression (if you ascend above that depth, you will get bent (decompression sickness).

A piece of gear set up for "tec" diving does not making someone a tech diver. Training and experience are the only things that do that. And lots of money... :wink:

WHere did that come from? Tech diving does not always mean Nitrox nor do all technical divers use nitrox. While not advisable there are those who still do deep air.

I know that's most likely not what you meant, but this statement (or the two statements in combination rather) may be understood as suggesting that it would be more advisable to dive deep (as in deeper than recreational depths) on EAN than on air - which of course is not the case (oxtox). Incidentally, I have heard many a "newbie" say "I want to use nitrox so that I can dive deeper", so it seems to be a common misconception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom