Dive Optiks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have glued Optiks to my lens. I used some stuff called Miracle Glue. Saw it demonstrated at an RV show or something like it at the Seahawks Exhibition Center a couple of years ago. Its technical name is Cyanoacrylate adhesive. You can find their web-site here .

I did make a mistake the first time I did it, but I was able to scrap off the lens and scrap off the glue without scratching the mask lens. Of course, the Optiks lens was ruined and had to buy new ones, but the second time, it worked just fine.

It only takes a drop or two to do the trick. I used two drops just to make sure that there were no air gaps under the lens, and then very carefully, scrapped the excess glue from the mask lens.

Hope this helps.

A consideration before you glue.

I installed dive optic lenses in wife's mask about 4 years ago. (Worked OK following the glueless instructions.) But now she is having trouble with them fogging up. We've cleaned them well with detergent and baby shampoo in addition to normal defogging (psi500) but she still complains about them fogging while her glass lenses stay clear. I'm going to pay a little closer attention to the problem before I take them out and either go with new one or corrective lenses.

If you must glue, might be good to use something that is removable.

Sorry, I can't help as I have the Dive Optx but have not tried to glue them. But I have a question of my own.

I take it from the question, and the report on one of your boat stories, that the lenses move around on you? Does it happen every dive?

During my ill-fated (because I did not get to dive!) California adventure in February, I did manage to pick up some Dive Optx, among other goodies, and installed them in a new big eye mask. The mask does not work for me, I have tried every possible way and get such horrible leakage that I have to clear every 15 seconds or so, and that is not an exageration. But the lenses have not moved at all, and they definitely got very wet. I will have to transfer them to my old mask, which does not leak, but has much less visibility. So I am glad I did not glue them.

I really like being able to read the guages, though. One of the main reasons that I bought a Cobra on a HP hose 2 years ago was that I could hold it far enough away from my nose to read it! Wrist mounted is just not far enough. This is absolutely true. For those of us over 39 (like you and me!) this is a consideration. Even at a distance, I can read all the numbers, but not the smaller symbols. With the lenses I can focus down to about 6" in front of my face. So distance is no longer an issue and everything is clear.

Gerry

I wear my contacts underwater, why do some people seem really hesitant to wear their contacts??

I can understad if you need bifocals, cause its hard to get bifocal contacts... but couldn't contacts help at least a few people with the same sort of problem as mentioned in this thread?

Just wondering....

After a few failed attempts using the glueless method, I found that glueless works well if things are really clean, you put them in with the mask submerged in cold water, be sure that there are NO bubbles between the Optix and the glass and let them dry for AT LEAST 48 hour, preferably longer.
I have had mine installed for several months and they do not come loose even when the mask floods or is rinsed but they can be easily removed for cleaning and such.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Has anyone successfully glued these into their mask? If so what glue did you use?

There is no need to glue them. I have had mine in for close to 3 years and they're still doing fine.
You have to make sure the correct side is down (quite hard to tell sometimes), that all surfaces are clean. You need a little water in the mask to position the lense. If you push it down and it does not want to stay fairly well, you most likely have the wrong side down. Once in place, remove ALL water in the mask, pat dry the lense itself carefully, then let dry for at least 24 hours.

Also be careful with the position to make sure you get them lined up with your pupils and below your line-of-sight. I also trimmed mine somewhat because I have a very small profile mask.

MD

radagalf once bubbled...
I wear my contacts underwater, why do some people seem really hesitant to wear their contacts??

I can understad if you need bifocals, cause its hard to get bifocal contacts... but couldn't contacts help at least a few people with the same sort of problem as mentioned in this thread?

Just wondering....

I have bifocal contacts and still use the Dive Optics in my mask. You'd think it would be better underwater, but for some reason, it isn't. Strange.

MD

I have had my DiveOptiks remain in position even with mask flooding and they work fine....

However...

If I leave my gear wet between different days of diving... as sometimes happens... and there is any water in the mask... the next day the lenses will move... and then if I flood the mask there is the chance they will be lost. I had this happen during Tech 1 :D

I was just thinking that gluing the little fellas in my mask would solve the problem... of course I could just dry my mask out after each dive and that would solve the problem too.

MD - no need to trim them down... if you ever need to replace them get the ones they sell at drug stores... they are already smaller... much cheaper... and are made by the same company.

Back
Top Bottom