What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Help - been spending way too much time sifting through accessory pages and can't seem to find a metal dive poker. Probably because I have no idea what they are "officially" called. My LDS does not carry them and has no idea what to call them either.

It is just a simple alluminum rod, about 1+ feet long, light weight and has a clip loop on the end.

Thanks!

"Annoying tank banging thingie" ?

I'm willing to bet that much was already known!! :wink:

They're called "reef rods" ... they're quite popular with the dive guides in Komodo and Bunaken due to current. They're great for steadying yourself in a current while trying to take a picture ... or for pointing out tiny little things (or things like a stonefish that you really don't want your fingers getting too close to).

There's a guy here on ScubaBoard somewhere ... PapaBear (Reed somethingorother) ... who makes and sells them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Unnecessary?"

:D - they aren't a proper tank banger - think the rattle things are more annoying :D

"Unnecessary?"

Perhaps ... but in certain situations, they're nice to have.

I've got a lot more dives in current than most, and although I didn't have one on my Indonesia trip, I sometimes found myself envying the folks who did.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd call them a diving impediment.

I'm willing to bet that much was already known!! :wink:

... :eyebrow: Sorry... had one too many traumatic experiences in the vicinity of some who use em' in an overly enthusiastic manner ... :eyebrow:

Still working on the viceral twitch... however, I *am* glad to hear that they have a real name and a higher function in life... thanks to NWG for the info and to kathydee for asking...

They're called "reef rods" ... they're quite popular with the dive guides in Komodo and Bunaken due to current. They're great for steadying yourself in a current while trying to take a picture ... or for pointing out tiny little things (or things like a stonefish that you really don't want your fingers getting too close to).

There's a guy here on ScubaBoard somewhere ... PapaBear (Reed somethingorother) ... who makes and sells them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup have seen them in Bunakan, Lembeh they are great for steadying yourself to see the tiny micro stuff or looking under trash, seen them lots in bali around micro/dangerous stuff.

Dont work too well as tank bangers. Found a coconut octopus last year at Lembeh and had to bang forever to get anyone to even noticed my tapping :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom