What cool things? (I hesitate to ask this...heh)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me recently that one of the things he did when he was first diving was to pry a mussel off of a rock and hold it in the water for surrounding fish to eat it out of his hand...

Realizing that some folks would say this is wrong because it disturbs the natural order of life...etc. etc. I'm interested what other folks have done that made scuba even more fun than just comingling with the sea life...

Some folks try to draw animals out of their holes, etc.

What do you do? How?

Thanks,

Sean

Did you ever see that Simpson's episode where Homer is in space and opens a bag of potato chips? Well, they fly everywhere because of the zero gravity so Homer does this revolving swimming thing where he eats chips on each rotation as he floats throughout the ship. I did that once when I was diving. I didn't actually eat anything but I did the zero gravity spin. Then I stopped sheepishly when I noticed my buddy getting weirded out. She must have thought I was narced.

I am like JiveTurkey

I try to do some interesting manuevers, like flips and rolls, and hanging upside down, sometimes my buddy will do the same and we will have like a mini competition.

We often have seals join us on a dive
and they tend to do what you do
if you do a slow roll they will roll,
stand on your head and they follow.
They are terably curios and if you look and fiddle under a rock they will have a look to see if they are missing out.
But they do bite so don't ever touch or try to hold them.
Howard.

Sea Cucumbers - They're sort of (shall I say) Mortadella-shaped when just qukin' about. Pick them up, give them a light shake and they swell into a fat potato. Great for V-ball. Warm water variant is Puffer Fish V-Ball. Never spike, just set and bump.

Purple Sea Urchin Garibaldi snack - Sort of an Uni le Mer. DIR Betty Crocker approved knifes need not apply. Think Ming Sai or Iron Chef.

Pass the Octopus - sort of like the kids game of Hot Potato. You see how many divers you can pass it too before the thing goes warhammer on you.

Lobster Rockets - pulling shorties off the rocks and releasing them so they rocket backward into your buddy. Keep a spare mask handy...you know - in case.

Although I have witnessed (but never actually executed) the Starfish in the long hair trick. Always a crowd pleaser, toss a starfish into a wave of un-hooded long hair and watch the fun. (Warning - participant/victim prone to meltdown and may ESA on you)

One question - Where are the DM's who showed us all this stuff, in some PETA lockdown? Geeze.

K

Mo2vation, If you put a starfish in my hair, I would release fleas in your car. And I can do that, you know. :evil:
(If you were diving with me, I'd probably give you a lecture about touching stuff.) :eek:ut:

I love to tease Damselfish. They get SO pissed off. They come charging at you like attack Rottweilers. It's fun to wiggle your finger toward them, then snatch it away really fast, and watch them try to bite it.
I am glad they are not bigger or toothier than they are.

I admit I have done a lot of this kind of stuff, but I've been trying to give it up. Not so good for the animals.

I do occasionally rip up an urchin with my knife to feed the fish and I have played with sea cucumbers to get them to spit their guts out onto my buddy.

to observing and photographing...I don't touch things as a rule.

The ocean is not my personal playground and I have no compulsion to poke, prod, grab, and otherwise disturb the flora and fauna.

I try to be an unobtrusive guest while underwater.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Lobster Rockets - pulling shorties off the rocks and releasing them so they rocket backward into your buddy. Keep a spare mask handy...you know - in case.

Pure joy. We call those Lobster Torpedos.

Take down a mirror, and use it to piss the lobster off and come barrelling out of the hole for a fight. Use the mirror to angle the lobster in front of your buddy. Then drop the mirror and shout at the bug...

I'm not going to get into the research for my book, Sea Life Identification via Defensive Reactions.

Back
Top Bottom