LP vs HP steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone please explain the difference between the 2. Why would someone want a LP over a HP? I am looking to get a LP 95 at a killer price. I am a big guy that weighs 240 but my wife is small and only weighs 130. Thx

LP tanks are actually preferred around here (NW FL / Cave Country). They weigh more than an equivalent HP tank - not a direct comparison, but a LP 95 is heavier than a HP 100 - but you get the point. There seem to be two advantages
1) if a shop only fills tanks to 3K, then you aren't getting a complete fill on an HP tank.
2) if a shop slightly overfills an LP tank, you have oodles of gas.

I bought LP 95s. My buddy dives HP 100s. I'd rather carry his to the boat. He'd rather have mine when they are filled to 3K.

Probably depends on where you are going to dive, and how you will get them filled. Hope that helps.

LP tanks are actually preferred around here (NW FL / Cave Country). They weigh more than an equivalent HP tank - not a direct comparison, but a LP 95 is heavier than a HP 100 - but you get the point. There seem to be two advantages
1) if a shop only fills tanks to 3K, then you aren't getting a complete fill on an HP tank.
2) if a shop slightly overfills an LP tank, you have oodles of gas.

I bought LP 95s. My buddy dives HP 100s. I'd rather carry his to the boat. He'd rather have mine when they are filled to 3K.

Probably depends on where you are going to dive, and how you will get them filled. Hope that helps.

What I am looking at is a Faber LP 95 my concern is that it is -5.37 buoyant and empty it is +1.69 buoyant. Like I said I weigh 240 and usually with an al100 have about 20lbs in my pockets. Was hoping to shed some of that weight. Last month we dived LP 80's and 120's and all I had was 8lbs in salt.

Dear God people... I've been on this board for less than a year and there is literally a thousand posts already answering this question. Do a search. Must we re-hash AGAIN why LP is better or worse than HP.

Dear God people... I've been on this board for less than a year and there is literally a thousand posts already answering this question. Do a search. Must we re-hash AGAIN why LP is better or worse than HP.

And yet you still opened the thread!!! Try giving a search for LP VS HP see what you come up with!

Just a little bit uptight don't you think...? I guess anybody can ask a question... its up to you whether or not you want to respond or not. I guess you really did not want to respond but wanted to up your post count by one... Looking good on the post count...!

As to the OP question... I come from the same school as Hatecheese... as I have 2 120LP's, 2 100HP's, 2 80HP's and depending on what I am doing dictates which tanks I use... When I go after Meg teeth I use the 120LP's because I am working hard and burning gas so I want as much as I can get. On the other hand, when I am just out enjoying the dive, 100HP's work well for me... FYI, not into caves yet but thats just a "yet"...!

Also, your wife will burn less air than you will so... 100's for you and 80's for her (or something comparable) would work well as this is how we do it.....

Not sure I helped any but I hope so...

lee

LOL, you think I give a rats ass about post count?

Faber LP 95's are listed as -1.2 pounds buoyant empty with a valve. In my experience, they are indeed negative when empty.

For comparision purposes:

X7-100 = 33 pounds, - 2.5 pounds buoyant empty with valve
Faber LP 95 = 38 pounds, - 1.2 pounds buoyant empty with valve
Worthington LP 95 = 42 pounds, - 3.0 pounds buoyant empty with valve
X8-119 = 42 pounds, - 2.0 pounds buoyant empty with valve
X8-130 = 43 pounds, - 2.0 pounds buoyant empty with valve

So:

1. If light weight is the important criteria, the X7-100 is a solid choice, about a pound heavier than an AL 80 but 23 cu ft more gas and in a smaller package.
2. If you want a balance between weight and capacity and can get cave fills then the Faber LP 95 is ideal (129 cu ft at 3600 psi and only weighs 38 pounds)
3. If you can't get cave fills but need the capacity, then the X8-130 makes the most sense - only 1 pound heavier than a worthington X8-119 or Wothngton LP 95 but an honest 130 cu ft at the service pressure.

The X8-119 and Worthington LP 95 are virtually identical tanks in terms of weight and dimensions, and in that regard, the X8-119 makes more sense if overfills are not an option (123 cu ft at the service pressure) but both lose out to both the Faber LP 95 and the X8-130 in the bigger picture due to either weight or volume.

DA I hope you just cut and paste at this point, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom