Dealing with an LDS issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it didn't really fit anywhere else.

Back in May, I got 4 tanks VIP'd, and 2 of them hydro'd, which also needed to be tumbled.

First of all, they all came back with barely 500psi. Not for nothing, I'd even expect to pay a little something for Nitrox, but not including an air fill in the price of a VIP is ridiculous, especially at what they charged. Also, this was never communicated to me, so I had no idea I had empty tanks until I got home.

Second, my doubles were reassembled completely wrong. Isolator pointing the wrong way, bands in the wrong spot, bands not even spaced correctly, and the best part, the valves facing the opposite direction of the posts on the bands. Best they could offer me was, bring them back and we'll fix them, and give you a fill. So after doing a **** job, and wasting my time, I get to haul them back, and you'll fix them, which I could just do (and did) on my own, and you'll give me the fill that should have been included. Wouldn't even give me Nitrox.

Now, fast forward a few months, and I remove the manifold, to convert them back to single tanks, and there's crap in the bottom (shop down here thinks they may be tumbling stones) and what appears to be some oxidation on the sides. See the photos.

I no longer live anywhere near this shop, so we'll fix it ain't going to cut it. All I asked was for either a refund on the VIP and tumbling or for them to cover my cost to get them re done. And in the event that the tanks should fail, a refund on the hydro, as if that's the case, the first shop should have just failed the tanks and not sent them for hydro in the first place. Not too unreasonable I don't think.

I called Friday and explained in great detail what happened, sent an email on Monday, and talked to another employee yesterday, and still haven't heard back from the manager. I realize a week isn't that long, but considering this is their second screw up, not to mention the size of this one, the common courtesy of a call back would be nice. Based on my previous experience, I'm thinking this shop's solution to everything, regardless of the circumstances is "bring it in and we'll fix it" which won't work this time and therefore they're giving me the blow off.

So now what? Do I wait? Try calling again? Or do I just file a dispute with my card and reply with the name of the shop here?

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 303
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 285
If the black specks are loose material dump them out, other than that they look fine to me, put the valves on and fill them.

honestly, filing a credit card dispute (even with very forgiving banks) is never a great solution. unless there is fraud, or you have been charged incorrectly, or you can prove these services weren't performed, i don't think you'll get your money back after "a few months." best bet might be to just take your cylinders to a reputable shop, and have them redo the tumbling and VIP (cleaning your valve too). you should also get the filter changed on your first stage.

If the black specks are loose material dump them out, other than that they look fine to me, put the valves on and fill them.
Nah that stuff is caked on the bottom. And this is even after we turned them up side down banged them around a little to try to get it out. That white stuff on the side looks ok to you?

Well, I'd say photos plus the fact that these tanks weren't really used after the so called service is proof enough. Maybe I don't get it back, but it's worth the phone call, and filling out some paperwork to at least try.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it didn't really fit anywhere else.

Back in May, I got 4 tanks VIP'd, and 2 of them hydro'd, which also needed to be tumbled.

After a few months, I'd just get them cleaned and get on with your life.

There's no way to prove that the contamination was there right after they cleaned the tanks and continuing to ruminate over the problem will only make you unhappy.

flots.

I'm in West Palm now, when just a few weeks ago I was in Jersey. It will take a lot more than this to make me unhappy.

Worst case, if they're going to be deuches about, just knowing that they'll have to deal with the bank, will make me happy..er, even if I don't get any of my money back.

Getting ripped by a LDS is no surprise. The fact that you were in Jersey and didn't learn how to spell "douche" is.

:wink:

Best.

I have found that when dealing with my nearest LDS (50 miles away) it is simpler to forget it since the cost of gas for a hundred mile round trip and my time ain't worth the effort. That's why I don't deal with them at all. If the tanks were mine I'd blow them out with an air hose, set them in the sun to dry out and refill them at the fire station up the road. If I really felt that I had been done wrong and the 30 days weren't up I'd cancel the charge on my credit card and let them worry about it. If I were using manifolded doubles or any other specialized piece of equipment and didn't know how to assemble and/or repair them myself I'd learn how to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom