Compression of fruit at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Good question actually! I bet there's some maths behind that one! Try taking a tomato down to 20 meters on your next dive! It will turn into a tiny purple ball like a grape NO JOKE - then turns back into a tomato

This is an off-shoot of a thread regarding the pressure of CO2 in a can of soda. This topic was brought up, and just to test it, here are my results:

Take a tomato (yes, it's a fruit - not a vegetable):

IMG_9109.jpg

Take a desktop pressure pot:

IMG_9110.jpg

Place tomato in pot and pressurize along with depth gauge. Note that the depth rating in the upper LCD display of my watch is in meters:

IMG_9112.jpg

Big answer: Nothing happens! Being mostly water, tomatoes remain non-compressible at depth. So, myth busted :D

As you can see from the gauge attached to the pot, pressure is at around 4.5 bar, or 65 PSI.

IMG_9113.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, video attached:

You can hear as the air comes in and my watch complain of the rapid depth change. But as you can see, nothing happens to the tomato.

Cool!

If you are playing try a styrofoam cup.

Can't you be like MythBusters and have it blow up at the end?

If I don't monitor the amount of compressed air I pump into the pot, it will!

(But I need my pot to test my lights...)

I am disappointed it didn't turn into a tiny purple grape at depth and then back into a tomato after ascending, I have to say.

This is so weird!

I was just sitting here, thinking about nothing in particular.. and then I found myself wondering if I went Scuba Diving with a tomato in my BCD pocket what would happen, and then I clicked on "New Posts" and here it is!

What are the odds

I am disappointed it didn't turn into a tiny purple grape at depth and then back into a tomato after ascending, I have to say.

Are you still going to try this in the ocean?

Back
Top Bottom