Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yelldawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know instructors, ship crew, etc., don't make a ton of money. Tips and gratuities can make a big difference for these professionals. I have heard, and agree with, the idea that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to do it. That said, I don't want to over- or under- tip.

What is considered a "fair" tip? Is it a percentage of the price, like at a restaurant, or like 1-2 bucks per suitcase for the hotel bellman?

Does the price vary by location? Ie., US versus Carribean, etc.?

Should you tip your instructors for your OW, AOW, or other specialty classes when at your LDS?

Can you substitute gifts for tipping, such as buying a meal or bottle of spirits for a crewmember or instructor?

What are your thoughts and your experiences? Thanks!

I tip DM's / boat crew (most of them have a tip jar to split), most of them in the US work for tips and not much else. I do $5 per tank minimum (unless they are rude), typically $10 tank as most tend to earn it. Cash beats a gift in most places, unless you are someplace where tipping is discouraged (not many left).

Ed

When I was DM, First Mate and Boat Captain I got tipped anywhere from the common $10 to $20 bucks to the rare $50.

Of course, lots of people don't tip at all. But when they do tip, it's usually $20 or $10.

Typically $10.00 per tank but more for extraordinary service. If I hear the crew make any cracks about Canadians not tipping they get our colourful currency in their jar. :D

We give $5 a tank per diver We make sure to tip after every boat ride, since the crew is likely to change. We give more for awesomeness and bring treats if they are especially good to us. I have only skimped on this once when I was really irked at the crew's attitude!

On a liveaboard 10-15% is standard....more if the crew goes above and beyond.
On charter dives I go about $10-$20, again more if they had to work really hard for me.
As a DM for classes I was uncomfortable getting tips from students but any time I led a DLD group I sure liked the extra income.
As an instructor I don't expect a tip but every so often I find a nice bottle for brandy or scotch has been handed to me as we part company.
I had a couple from Canadia ask if I'd be offended by a tip. I told them to take me out to dinner as my tip( think they spent a lot more on dinner). They did and we had a lovely meal. And they are returning to Florida for more classes next month.

Employers should pay their employees.

I'd rather pay a higher fee per dive than have to deal with DMs and crew members who won't give you the time of day until the boat is about five minutes from dock when they start to kiss up in anticipation of a tip.

FWIW, I feel the same about food service, but still tip out at about 22%. Hypocritical? Perhaps, but a man's got to eat.

It's always amazing to me how foreign a concept tipping is to many (not dive ops, though) once you leave the states. I've had many bartenders politely - but firmly - refuse a tip because it's simply not done. I did find, however, that in that situation the barman was more than happy to accept my purchasing him a "wee one".

Seriously, dive operators, it's your responsibility - not mine - to compensate your employees.

Best.

I know instructors, ship crew, etc., don't make a ton of money. Tips and gratuities can make a big difference for these professionals. I have heard, and agree with, the idea that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to do it. That said, I don't want to over- or under- tip.
What is considered a "fair" tip? Is it a percentage of the price, like at a restaurant, or like 1-2 bucks per suitcase for the hotel bellman?
Does the price vary by location? Ie., US versus Carribean, etc.?
Should you tip your instructors for your OW, AOW, or other specialty classes when at your LDS?
Can you substitute gifts for tipping, such as buying a meal or bottle of spirits for a crewmember or instructor?
What are your thoughts and your experiences? Thanks!

More thoughts here ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/372839-do-europeans-tip-dms.html

I had a couple from Canadia ask if I'd be offended by a tip. I told them to take me out to dinner as my tip( think they spent a lot more on dinner). They did and we had a lovely meal. And they are returning to Florida for more classes next month.

Nice touch....I like that.

As far as a boat goes I tip the DM $10 per tank.

As for the Instructor I do not. I think $400+ for the cert is enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom