Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daivdm203

New
Reaction score
My experienced is limited to the training and certification dives plus maybe two or three others. I live off Long Island Sound and would like to get a little more experience.

I am a sailor and my goal is to be able to do do work on boats, retrieve mooring anchors etc. In short all very shallow work.

For my open-water certification dive I had to buy a 7 mm wet-suit as the dive was in April in Connecticut. It was very cold.

The water when I would usually dive would be about 70 degrees which it is now.

I was thinking that it would make sense to buy a 3 mm suit.

Am I right in guessing that the 3 mm suit would be warm enough, a lot easier to put on, more comfortable feeling in the water and would require less weight.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but since I'm not sure I figured I should ask.

you may find that you will own a 5mm and a 3mm eventually.3mm for travel, the 5mm for this time of year in LI sound. i use a5mm this time of year locally. water now 74 degrees too cold for me to enjoy using a 3mm.

Depends on how long you're going to be in it too. 3mm sounds thin for 70 degrees w/ any decent duration.

3mm tends to be nice in 75F+ water when you want some thermal protection.

If the baseline you're gearing up for is 70F I'd agree with a 5mm full suit.

Also, as mentioned the "wardrobe" is inevitable if you stick with it as a diversified diver.

Pete

Is wearing the 7mm an issue when i was diving wet i wore the 7mm in 75* you allready own it so why spend more if u dont need too, i was never too warm in the suit in the water. sometimes warm on the surface but managable.

I had to buy a 7 mm wet-suit as the dive was in April in Connecticut. It was very cold.
The water when I would usually dive would be about 70 degrees which it is now.
70 still pretty cold, maybe not for 7mm, but 5mm should be good.
Cold-warm it is VERY personal feeling and very depends of your dive level. How you more experience diver, you will cold more and more.
Some time ago I was diving in 1mm if temperatura was higher than 74, now I cold in 75 F with 5mm on long dives (more than 50 minutes).
I think above was good suggestion : try to use 7mm and buy 3 or 5 in case you will feel real warm.

Another strategy to consider is layering. Get a 3mm base layer and wear a hooded vest on top of that. That will give you a hood and 6mm on your core, and will still leave your arms & legs moving easier.

There are lots of ways to stay warm, you'll have to get to know your own personal tolerance for temperature.

Another strategy to consider is layering. Get a 3mm base layer and wear a hooded vest on top of that. That will give you a hood and 6mm on your core, and will still leave your arms & legs moving easier.

There are lots of ways to stay warm, you'll have to get to know your own personal tolerance for temperature.

I actually have a hooded vest. So that may work out.

Is the 3 and or 5 mm suit a lot easier to get on than the 7 mm.

It is a bit of a work out to put on the one I have.

And as someone said it is not that I am too hot in the water. I'm really looking for easier to put on and easier to move around.

How long do you think it will be 70 in the Long Island Sound? A month at best.

What will you do the rest of the year?

What visibitilty do think you will have in the sound all 12 months?

I think it will take you much longer to "find" the lost items under the water?

Any chance of contaminates in the sound from leaking boats, tanks, etc....?

I would only be diving dry.

Dive Safe

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom