First Drysuit dives under my belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

My Whites Fusion DS came in a couple of weeks ago, and now that I've got a couple of training dives under my belt with it, I have to say that I like it.

I found that donning it is super easy, time wise about the same it's about the same as my 5mm jumpsuit, but a lot easier. The entire process from start to finish might be a bit longer due to getting the undergarments on, but that is still just a couple of minutes. I do see how in a warm weather / cold water scenario (Like the local quarries), you wouldn't want to get geared up too soon, it does get hot. :) Pouring a bit of water into the suit to cool off isn't an option like a wetsuit.

As for diving, PADI teaches that for general REC diving that you only use the BC on the surface, all your "dive-time" buoyancy adjustments are done with the suit. They do acknowledge that for TEC diving that isn't the way you do it, but for general rec, use the suit.

I didn't have much of a problem adjusting buoyancy once I got in, just had to remind myself to NOT use the BC inflator button. Bit of a problem getting used to 'raise the shoulder' to dump air, but that action wasn't hard, just a new motor pattern. I found that doing kind of a "Chicken Wing" with my left arm worked well.

The "air in feet" exercises were interesting. Instructor explained the process on land, did sort of a 'finger demo' in the air, and off we went. He demoed underwater, then I stood on my head on the platform. Even with the fusion (which I understand does a good job of air management) I could feel my feet get lighter and started to feel like I was "floaty". NOT A GOOD FEELING! A couple of good strong kicks and I was level and on my back, then a quick roll and I was back level and correctly oriented. I have to admit that I was disoriented a bit the first time, just wasn't quite sure where I was in the water ref where I had started, but a couple more reps and I was feeling good with it. Definitely a skill that I want to practice more.

We dropped down to 60 feet or so, (and that's where it starts getting really chilly at the quarry), I was feeling good. After a few minutes we came back up, and I had no problems holding a stop at 15 for the exercise on breathing off an alt. air source. In our case it was a pony tank hung at 15, and I learned to make sure the valve is turned on BEFORE you try breathing from it. :)

Still sorting out undergarments, I've got an old set of my army PolyPros, probably about 150 gm when new, and a bit worse for the wear now, maybe effectively 100 grams. Also have a 200 gram Thinsulate jumpsuit with a fleece lining that I haven't used yet. For my feet I had a pair of very heavy fluffy "-40 deg" wool socks. Boots are the Whites Fusions that velcro onto the bottom of the suit.

With the socks and boots my feet still fit easily into my fins, and didn't feel cramped. One of the folks in the club suggested Neoprene socks, my question is, do they go on first, then the wool socks?, or just instead of the wool socks?

Still getting the details sorted out, but my first couple of dives have been promising. It will get a test this saturday, I'm going to help do a 'scavenger hunt' where we do the giant stride at one of the quarries, see what masks/ fins / odds and ends we can find down there. Going to be more than a bit brisk, so it will be a good test.

Any advice, tips and tricks for me in general.

Thanks,

Steve

I played with the neoprene socks, and used them both ways. I didn't like them. They weren't as warm as good, thick socks, but if put on over thick socks, they compressed the insulation and made me colder.

I agree that, with thin undergarments, it is no harder to put on a Fusion dry suit than a thick wetsuit (and maybe easier). It's certainly more pleasant to put on a dry suit for the third dive of the day, than a clammy, wet wetsuit! (That's why I dive dry everywhere nowadays :) )

Steve...welcome to the world of awesome Whites Suits! I have a Bullet and love it. Couple of points on your post. Which suit did you get? Sport/Tech/Bullet?

-Undergarment: I had the whites MK2 and was too cold for me in the winter months in the Northwest water...so I upgraded to the Thermal Fusion undergarment and love it. I wear it year round and am always nice and toasty.
-Socks: I used to wear neoprene socks over my hiking socks and I now dive without them as I felt my feet were colder with the neoprene socks.
-Feet Lofty: Have you tried ankle weights yet?

Enjoy diving the Whites!

Steve...welcome to the world of awesome Whites Suits! I have a Bullet and love it. Couple of points on your post. Which suit did you get? Sport/Tech/Bullet?

I got the Sport skin, but will probably get a tech skin some time in the future.

-Undergarment: I had the whites MK2 and was too cold for me in the winter months in the Northwest water...so I upgraded to the Thermal Fusion undergarment and love it. I wear it year round and am always nice and toasty.

I'll probably end up with something like that, the 600gm dual layer fleece from the ebay retailer that everybody recommends. Still getting that part sorted out. I know that undergarments are rarely a 'one set for all occasions' situation, so that will take some dialing in.
-Socks: I used to wear neoprene socks over my hiking socks and I now dive without them as I felt my feet were colder with the neoprene socks.

Lucky socks and foot stuff isn't nearly as expensive as undergarments, so I'm going to play around... almost wonder
-Feet Lofty: Have you tried ankle weights yet?

Enjoy diving the Whites!

I am. :) but mine is one of the new ones, has the Orange stitching and AquaLung logos / branding.

Steve

Checkout diverightin scuba for $50 skins, I got 2.

Checkout diverightin scuba for $50 skins, I got 2.

Thanks. In the Tech my choice is the black with PINK trim (with pockets) or to go without the pockets and get the black / green one. I'm trying to convince myself that it's not REALLY Pink, but it's pink. :( May do it anyhow.... :)

My favorite socks to use with my Fusion are Fourth Element. Very warm, very comfortable. My feet got sweaty & clammy with neoprene socks. Not so with these.

Hey Gang,

My Whites Fusion DS came in a couple of weeks ago, and now that I've got a couple of training dives under my belt with it, I have to say that I like it.

I found that donning it is super easy, time wise about the same it's about the same as my 5mm jumpsuit, but a lot easier. The entire process from start to finish might be a bit longer due to getting the undergarments on, but that is still just a couple of minutes. I do see how in a warm weather / cold water scenario (Like the local quarries), you wouldn't want to get geared up too soon, it does get hot. :) Pouring a bit of water into the suit to cool off isn't an option like a wetsuit.

You can always just hop into the water to cool off, if you need. That is what I do. It also is an effective way to get the excess air out of the suit before diving

As for diving, PADI teaches that for general REC diving that you only use the BC on the surface, all your "dive-time" buoyancy adjustments are done with the suit. They do acknowledge that for TEC diving that isn't the way you do it, but for general rec, use the suit.
I didn't have much of a problem adjusting buoyancy once I got in, just had to remind myself to NOT use the BC inflator button. Bit of a problem getting used to 'raise the shoulder' to dump air, but that action wasn't hard, just a new motor pattern. I found that doing kind of a "Chicken Wing" with my left arm worked well.

I teach to use the BC for buoyancy control & only put enough air in the suit to fend off the squeeze & for a little lofting for warmth. Using the suit for buoyancy is asking for trouble,... They vent much too slowly,... Especially in an emergency situation.

The "air in feet" exercises were interesting. Instructor explained the process on land, did sort of a 'finger demo' in the air, and off we went. He demoed underwater, then I stood on my head on the platform. Even with the fusion (which I understand does a good job of air management) I could feel my feet get lighter and started to feel like I was "floaty". NOT A GOOD FEELING! A couple of good strong kicks and I was level and on my back, then a quick roll and I was back level and correctly oriented. I have to admit that I was disoriented a bit the first time, just wasn't quite sure where I was in the water ref where I had started, but a couple more reps and I was feeling good with it. Definitely a skill that I want to practice more.

It is different. I have learned to deal with air in the feet, as in cave diving, you may not have a good area to get the air to the shoulder to exhaust it. It takes a lot of practice & knowing your suit to do,.. or you can get yourself into a lot of trouble.

We dropped down to 60 feet or so, (and that's where it starts getting really chilly at the quarry), I was feeling good. After a few minutes we came back up, and I had no problems holding a stop at 15 for the exercise on breathing off an alt. air source. In our case it was a pony tank hung at 15, and I learned to make sure the valve is turned on BEFORE you try breathing from it. :)

Yes, you certainly need to turn it on first, but best if it is kept off, unless neeeded, that way you do not have a free flow that depletes your gas without your knowledge.

Still sorting out undergarments, I've got an old set of my army PolyPros, probably about 150 gm when new, and a bit worse for the wear now, maybe effectively 100 grams. Also have a 200 gram Thinsulate jumpsuit with a fleece lining that I haven't used yet. For my feet I had a pair of very heavy fluffy "-40 deg" wool socks. Boots are the Whites Fusions that velcro onto the bottom of the suit.

I use generic fleece undergarments & have been pleased with them (about 400 gm for the coldest waters)

With the socks and boots my feet still fit easily into my fins, and didn't feel cramped. One of the folks in the club suggested Neoprene socks, my question is, do they go on first, then the wool socks?, or just instead of the wool socks?

I use neoprene socks. 1 pair for warm water & 2 pairs (1 long & 1 short) for cold waters. My feet have yet to get cold.

Still getting the details sorted out, but my first couple of dives have been promising. It will get a test this saturday, I'm going to help do a 'scavenger hunt' where we do the giant stride at one of the quarries, see what masks/ fins / odds and ends we can find down there. Going to be more than a bit brisk, so it will be a good test.

I love searching along the wall in the deep part of Pennyroyal for dropped items. I've found Masks, fins, snorkels, weights, weight pockets (full of lead), a very nice compass, a GoPro camera & a computer. Of course these items go to the "lost & found", unless the owner is right there & I'm searching for it exclusively. I recently did a search for an entire suba unit that fell off a dock,... did not find it,... it may have been recovered before I could get ready to go. I have also searched for my Tech instructor's Q cards he uses,... didn't find them either, but vis dropped to >6" in the deeper holes.

Any advice, tips and tricks for me in general.

Just keep practicing,... it will get easier. Also be careful, as sometimes the undergarment material can get trapped in the exhaust valve & block the exiting of the air (Have had this happen twice),... It can make for a very uncomfortable ride to the surface.

Tammy,

Thank you very much for your insights and advice. Got a few more dives on it, and I see what you mean about it being slow to purge. I think I'm going to give your technique a try in terms of using the BC for buoyancy and the Suit for Warmth / anti-squeeze.

Starting to get things sorted out. I'm not 100% comfortable with the suit yet, just in terms of how it feels 'different', but I do love being nice and dry and warm, and my discomfort is just a matter of not having the time diving it yet.

Take care, and I'm sure I'll see you around sooner or later.

Steve W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom