Tool advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive New

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. I just bought a BC, regulator package. I was looking up assembly of the octo and wondering what tool or tools are the best for a non-tech diver to own. I've seen that all in one tool and tool packages which are priced about the same; is one better than the other or is it a preference thing?
Thanks

This little multi-tool from XS Scuba and and small adjustable wrench or two will cover most of your needs.

As with so many things, it depends.
If you are mostly a travelling diver, then lighter weight can be a benefit.
Are you anticipating basic tasks or re-builds? If re-builds, some models of regs are a lot easier to service with certain specialized tools.
Are you likely to be working on just regulators or (for example) BCs and cylinder valves as well?
No multi-tool or kit matched the likely jobs I anticipated, so first doing a task analysis and then gathering my own tool kit (and spare parts) made sense to me.

The Scuba Tools are handy, but if you buy one, make sure it's stainless. The others rust almost instantly in a salt spray environment. We also find a small connected set of Allen wrenches to be useful. A brass o-ring pick can come in handy (removing damaged o-ring from yoke tanks, for example).

5/8" and 9/16" open end wrench, 5/32" hex drive, adjustable wrench.

Make like a real diver and get rusty vice grip pliers.. And allen wrenches and the other important tool is an intermediate pressure gauge.. That is a very important tool if you are going to mess with your gear.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom