question/help on DIR 7ft primary setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All I recently purchased a 7ft hose kit from piranha scuba and dove it today. It came with a 22in hose for you bungee necklace reg and a 24in HP for spg. Everything went great until I tried practicing out of air situation with buddy. I popped the secondary bungee necklace reg in my mouth...the problem is the slightest turn of my head left and it pulls. If I try to turn my head all the way left, it would likely pull out of my mouth. Is this normal? I'm thinking in an OOA situation your dive would be over anyways and a need to really turn your head all the way left is not to great as you would likely be heading towards the surface but I found it odd. Well I just got home and measured that hose. The black part of the hose actually measures just shy of 19 inches. You only get close to 22in if you measure from the first stage body to the second stage body...i.e. the end of the second stage metal part that meets the plastic part of the reg if that makes sense. I included a pic below. If this is not normal should I try to exchange it with piranha scuba? I doubt they would since I dove it. Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150614_154824.jpg
    20150614_154824.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 401
It's normal, that's how they measure.

Is the hose routed behind or in front of your wing? This makes a big difference, specially the more the wing is inflated, the shorter that hose will be perceived to be

what he said, hoses are measured from end to end, not the exposed black bit. If you can take a picture of how you have it ran that would help. Usually 22 is actually a bit long for a singles setup, but if it was caught on the wing that would explain it

what he said, hoses are measured from end to end, not the exposed black bit. If you can take a picture of how you have it ran that would help. Usually 22 is actually a bit long for a singles setup, but if it was caught on the wing that would explain it

I will have to pick my bottle up but it was running over my right shoulder so I doubt it was behind my wing but I guess anything is possible.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

Also another odd thing is I have to strap the top cam strap way high up on the bottle (near where the bottle starts to round) to get the overall height of the top of the reg from bumping the back of my head when I lift my head up. I find that odd as well.

Actually if you watch "essentials of tech diving on YouTube my bottle is about where his is in relation to the top cam strap so I guess I'm ok there.

Yeah, what I said was for doubles, sorry, didn't realize it was single tank set up. Indeed it would be much harder/unlikely to have the wing push it away on a singles set up.

Sealing surface to sealing surface is how they're measured.

You can experiment with first stage positioning to maybe get a lil more slack. What you're experiencing sounds normal though.

top cam band placement depends on where the cam slots are drilled in the backplate. One of the reasons I really like the Halcyon STA's is they put the cam slots right on top of the bolt holes. This is super convenient because doubles always have the bands right at the top crown of the tank and it puts the single tanks in the same spot. It does sound normal though, there's a few things you can try depending on how you're set up now, so pictures would help.

top cam band placement depends on where the cam slots are drilled in the backplate. One of the reasons I really like the Halcyon STA's is they put the cam slots right on top of the bolt holes. This is super convenient because doubles always have the bands right at the top crown of the tank and it puts the single tanks in the same spot. It does sound normal though, there's a few things you can try depending on how you're set up now, so pictures would help.

Pics below....last pic is simply to demonstrate how the tank and reg sits on me

I just had a thought...if I move the secondary (bungee necklace reg) to the port where the primary reg is on the first stage valve then that will buy me another almost 1.5 inches and puts it in a better position. It feels better when I try it like this. Any negatives about having them switch positions on the first stage DIN valve ports?

Last edited:
Moving the hoses is definitely an option, also you could try a 90 deg adapter on the bungeed second stage. I suggest this when there is obvious pull and the standard routing will cause discomfort and distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start with swapping the hoses. Your cam bands look like they're in the right spot, but I would swap the hoses first which will buy you a few inches plus the lack of tugging from the long hose

Back
Top Bottom