Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PADI vs NAUI certifications, and onto AOW

Registered

Has not set a "status"

PADI vs NAUI certifications, and onto AOW

Hi.

I got NAUI certified a couple of years ago. While going through the certification, the shop (Beaches resort in Jamaica) had both NAUI and PADI. Not knowing a lot at the time, it was because the instructor/DM I had at the time was NAUI, so I went with the NAUI certification.

I had read the description on both PADI and NAUI on their web sites, but would like to know what the differences really are between their certifications. Also, to go to the next level for Advanced OW certification, what are the differences?

Thanks a lot.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cavegirl
    Hi.

I had read the description on both PADI and NAUI on their web sites, but would like to know what the differences really are between their certifications. Also, to go to the next level for Advanced OW certification, what are the differences?
    In my opinion, the biggest difference is actually in the instructor you have, not whether it is PADI or NAUI. I am currently certified by both, and I have seen good and bad divers certified by both. The difference has been in the quality of the instructor they have had. And, of course, in how well they listened to the instructor!

I would recommend you base you decision on the instructors involved, not the organization.

Good luck!

Ken

Registered

is going diving!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Three things -
    First,
    an instructor,
    Second,
    the instructor, and
    Third,
    your instructor
    Be fit to dive, don't dive to be fit

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    NAUI has 6 dives instead of 5 for the PADI AOW and better academics.

If you are interested, I can send you the differences in the OW courses.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Walter, could you PM me the differences. I've been asked several times about the differences.

While I know NAUI standards well, I've been unable to find published PADI standards to do a side by side comparision.
    Jim March
    Red Reef Scuba | T-Shirts
    ScubaToys.com | If you find a better price anywhere - Larry will meet it or beat it! What could be better?
    NAUI Instructor Trainer #43562 - Email me for all of your training needs, from Scuba Diver - NAUI Instructor!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Hey Walter,

Ditto for me as well. It's a bit out of the way to the NAUI shop, but they offer intro classes to get a feel for tec diving without getting wet.

Cheers,

Jack

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Question Difference between NAUI and PADI

Hmm, a few others are interested in knowing the difference.

In NAUI, there is the Scuba Diver certification and AOW. For PADI there is Scuba Diver and Open Water, and then AOW. It appears the NAUI Scuba Diver certification is the same as the PADI OW certification and the PADI Scuba is an entry-level before the OW. I believe that's why last time I was told by one shop (who did not know NAUI, and must have thought the NAUI Scuba certification is same as PADI Scuba) I cannot go to deep dive whereas another one had no problem.

Yes, from the web site NAUI AOW needs 6 dives vs 5 for PADI AOW. But would appreciate knowing more of the differences.

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    I'll try to remember to dig them out tonight.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Differences

I'm glad to see that other hit the most important difference regardless of any agency affiliation, the instructor. The biggest difference that I hear of from the NAUI facilities and a University that has a dive program (NAUI), is that NAUI allows academic freedom. Supposedly the instructors can add what they want on top of the basic requirements to help better the diver. From what i've heard PADI and others have strict teaching rules that don't allow such freedom. Thats the only big difference that I have heard of. Take it for what its worth. Also I heard that PADI rules do not allow you to use the word die, or death during a class. I don't want to spark a flame session here so take it for what its worth. I am by no means an authority on any of this stuff. This is just what I have heard through the grape vine.
    BOW NAUI
    AOW PADI
    EANX PADI
    RESCUE NAUI
    DECOMPRESSION I IANTD
    ADVANCED NITROX IANTD

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

The biggest thing I always hear, is that PADI minimum standards are well below NAUI's. What I'm interested in, are the specific differences.
    Jim March
    Red Reef Scuba | T-Shirts
    ScubaToys.com | If you find a better price anywhere - Larry will meet it or beat it! What could be better?
    NAUI Instructor Trainer #43562 - Email me for all of your training needs, from Scuba Diver - NAUI Instructor!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast