So what's the deal with Fantasy Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chi-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My sister and I are planning to visit Roatan for the first time next year. It's tough to ignore the fantastic specials they are running at Fantasy Island.

However, my travel agent refuses to book it citing all the un-satisfied customers they've had in the past. Trip Adviser also gives it mixed reviews.

We're not looking for anything fancy -- clean, safe, decent food, good service in the resort and especially on the dives.

Any thoughts?

My sister and I are planning to visit Roatan for the first time next year. It's tough to ignore the fantastic specials they are running at Fantasy Island.

However, my travel agent refuses to book it citing all the un-satisfied customers they've had in the past. Trip Adviser also gives it mixed reviews.

We're not looking for anything fancy -- clean, safe, decent food, good service in the resort and especially on the dives.

Any thoughts?

There are lots of trip reports right here on SB. Read them and you will get your answers.

BTW - most people who post on Trip Advisor are not divers, so take that into consideration when reading negative reports. Ditto for your travel agent.

here are a few I found:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/290281-roatan-fibr-trip-report-june-2009-a.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/283067-two-weeks-roatan.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/270942-trip-report-fantasy-island.html

Thanks robint -- I did start to look at some of the trip reports (thanks for the links), but then I became even more confused. I appreciate what you are saying about travel agents and non-divers. Helps me put things in perspective.

I've been twice and, like you, was attracted by the bargain offerings. I think they provide a good value for the money. The accommodations are decent if you stay in the newer wing. I understand some rooms in the older section are quite small but I've not stayed in them. The food is decent but nothing to get excited about. It's served buffet style and there's plenty of it. The homemade ice cream is very good. The diving is good but some DM's are better than others. If you're picky and used to going first class then probably best to look elsewhere. If you're relatively easy to please, enjoy an adventure and like a good deal then have it. Like I said, I've been twice and may go again in the future.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Thanks robint -- I did start to look at some of the trip reports (thanks for the links), but then I became even more confused. I appreciate what you are saying about travel agents and non-divers. Helps me put things in perspective.

It all depends what you are looking for and what you really expect. Since your profile is blank it is hard to know what to tell you.

Things to consider - Roatan is a 3rd world country, very poor. There are some nice hotels, but nothing 5 star, no Club Med, no spa type resorts like Beaches. The resorts there are more rustic. There are some hotels on the island that are more upscale but they aren't the dive resorts. So it all depends what you want. Tell us specifically what you need...

Do you want a fancy room? Do you want to dive 3 times per day? Do you want topside activities? Do you want fancy food? Do you want a beach and pool? Are you traveling with other divers or non-divers? Kids? Do you want a nightlife? Do you want quiet or to party? Do you want a big resort or a tiny one?

I would look at the websites for all the resorts to see if they meet your needs. Those specials at Fantasy Island run just this fall from what I understand. The HIGH season (more expensive) for all of the Caribbean is usually Jan-April, so take that into consideration, too.

robin:D

.... not looking for anything fancy -- clean, safe, decent food, good service in the resort and especially on the dives....

I think you just described FIBR.... and many other places on Roatan.

As RobinT says, it would be a lot easier if you filled out your profile, as well as further defining what your needs are.

For sure FIBR is giving away the store with their pricing, no doubt. Again, RobinT gives some good advice in regards to what you'll find on Roatan in general, but I'll be more specific to your question. FIBR was designed in an attempt to be all things to all people. The creator saw CoCoView's dive operation and copied it. He saw a Club Med's layout and copied it.

Unfortunately, when you copy something, it depends in large part upon the perception you had. For what it is, it works well, but it is a Petticoat Junction version of a Club Med. The "mixed reviews" as you viewed them, might have been a cause of the level of service which is known to fluctuate weekly along with other bobbling factors- consistency has never been one of their hallmarks.

In terms of dive operations, once again, using the comparator of Club Med.... No one beats the consistent cleanliness and tidy look of a Club Med dive op, so lets take that off the table. FIBR's boats are a little grimy, their dive storage "wet room" is more than adequate, but a bit poorly lit. The dive crews more than make up for any shortcomings in the operation, which again- are not that big an issue.

It's their DM's that get the consistent rave reviews, and in this unusual area for diving, you're going to need a DM... and a good one. This zone, about a 10 mile coastline, is the most unique of its kind in the Caribbean. The shallow, vertical Sun drenched walls present a micro environment for all the little colorful critters that can be found in all of the ooh-ahh pictures and critter ID books. This is what you will likely see: ScubaBoard Gallery - South Side Roatan

If you honestly want to complete 3 dives a day, there is no cheaper way to do this on Roatan~ go to FIBR immediately. However- You can do one dive a day and do it way cheaper by going to the west End and buying your services ala carte. That will also put you in the middle of the "action" of the social scene, for what it is on this backwater island.

Roatan is a small island with a large divergent array of choices that offer different levels of service, quality, consistency and pricing.

Wow! Thanks to all of you for following-up. Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this and will look at filling out my profile.

Here are some of my concerns based on reading others' trip reports. I guess I'm wondering if these are isolated incidents or more the norm.

(1) upwards of 19 divers per dive master
(2) very little surface interval between dives 1 and 2
(3) water bottles on the boat being filled with tap water
(4) gear getting 'lost' or stolen

Other questions:

How conscientious are the DMs? My sister and I are both AOW (me with over 100 dives and her with about 40). So I don't need someone checking my air every 10 min., but I want someone that will point out 'cool' stuff, be readily available if one of us has a problem our buddy can't solve, and get us back to the boat.

Does the crew set up your equipment or do you?

Are the boats truly dive boats? Do they have tank holders and easy re-entry after the dive? Is there enough room to gear up? Do they have fresh water for cameras/computers? What do they supply in terms of snacks drinks? Is there a head on board?

Do you want a fancy room? Do you want to dive 3 times per day? Do you want topside activities? Do you want fancy food? Do you want a beach and pool? Are you traveling with other divers or non-divers? Kids? Do you want a nightlife? Do you want quiet or to party? Do you want a big resort or a tiny one?

I would like a clean room (no roach motel), with hot (or at least lukewarm) water, and aircon. Don't need fancy food -- just something we won't get sick on. A pool/beach would be a plus. Just my sis and I -- both divers -- no kids (that's what we're trying to get away from :D) -- no nightlife, fairly quite. Resort size is not a concern.

See my post above with more questions regarding dive operation/boats.

answers by your numbered questions from above post...

(1) the norm

(2) A plain fact. It's not so much that the SI that is limited, it's more the hassle hustle of making that connection. FIBR is run on the Euro-Asian model. That's how it is done. Most other AI operations that cater to North Americans load a sdecond spare tank on each boat for every diver = Go out once, dive twice. You must "sig up" for your dives (see the pix), also a EurAsian norm.

(3) Has happened, not the norm at all.

(4) Not the norm, but yes- more than it should.

Other questions:

How conscientious are the DMs? My sister and I are both AOW (me with over 100 dives and her with about 40). So I don't need someone checking my air every 10 min., but I want someone that will point out 'cool' stuff, be readily available if one of us has a problem our buddy can't solve, and get us back to the boat.

An oddly phrased question. I think they will meet that criteria, certainly the cool stuff. But depending absolutely upon any DM to save your neck is a bad idea. If they see you, I'm sure anyone would assist. But unless you hire your personal DM, there is simply no guarantee that they will be your angel 24/7.

Does the crew set up your equipment or do you?

Unless you direct them otherwise. Tip accordingly.

Are the boats truly dive boats? Do they have tank holders and easy re-entry after the dive? Is there enough room to gear up? Do they have fresh water for cameras/computers?

They are copied from other purpose designed boats that were set up for South side conditions. Have adequate but steep wooden and metal ladders. There is enough room, but again- they do pack the boats- look at the pics- remember- one tank per diver. There is a rubbermaid tub provided for cameras. Computers, as in most any dive op, will wait till you get back. Fruit as a refresher is occasionally brought aboard, but not always.

You can spend more money and achieve what many call perfection, but again- you can't beat the price at FIBR.

here are many different operation's dive boats. Have a look: ScubaBoard Gallery - Dive Boat Pix, Maps, Charts, Sketches and scrawling of the back of Napkins

Last edited:
I would like a clean room (no roach motel), with hot (or at least lukewarm) water, and aircon. Don't need fancy food -- just something we won't get sick on. A pool/beach would be a plus. Just my sis and I -- both divers -- no kids (that's what we're trying to get away from :D) -- no nightlife, fairly quite. Resort size is not a concern.

See my post above with more questions regarding dive operation/boats.

From that it sounds like FI will be fine for you, with the exception of kids (it is a family resort).
There are several SB regular members there right now who can give you all the particulars of the resort, details of the diving, etc. :D

If you want to spend a few more $, check out my trip report of CCV. It is right across the lagoon, much smaller resort, no kids but no beach or pool either, it is a true diver resort.
CoCoView Resort, 2008

If you want to go a bit more $, then look at Anthony's Key Resort on the northside of the island. All Inclusive Roatan Resort & Roatan Diving | Anthony's Key Resort

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom