Two Older divers heading for Bonaire - Boat Dive Operators recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I (Age 71) and sister-in-law (age 69) are on our way to Bonaire for the first week in March. I'm planning to do some shore dives but my sister in law may not be able to walk into the ocean with gear on so she will probably be limited to boat dives. Does anyone have recommendations for boat dive operators. We are staying at Eden Beach so Wannadive is a logical choice but I want to know if there are better choices for our boat dives.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Hyrum

Great for you and her! You'll see older divers than you two, I'll wager. Don't write off the shore diving altogether; sites like Windsock, Front Porch, Eden, Bari, Cliff, La Machaca are all entries with water calm enough to make for ease of entry and exit. We've dived with three boat operators: Don's, East Coast, and Dive Friends. ECD is a bit challenging, with perhaps a few minutes of finning between attractions underwater and a snorkel back to the boat, but if you're up for it they are excellent operators, and they have a terrific custom boat which makes the boarding process easy. Those things aside, most of the boats seem to go to the west side of Klein, which is limiting. It looks (from the website) like Wannadive does only Klein. There's great beauty there, of course, but less variety than some of the Bonaire sites. Don's and DF both do trips either north or south to other sites, but Don's are usually single tanks, while at least once or twice a week, DF does two-dive trips. If you can get to Karpata, Bloodlet, or Rappel on a boat, you'll be very pleased with what you see. A final thought: Hans at Scuba-coach.com has a gift for low-stress introductions to Bonaire shore diving, and is well worth the money for a diver wanting to build up some confidence.

I can't speak to their boat dives as we only shore dived this month with them but Wannadive is a terrific operation. The convenience of the pick up there at the resort would make them a very obvious choice. The attitude of the Wannadive folks was great and much easier going than others I have used there. Regardless of whom you dive with you will have to do one shore dive as a weight check. The dive at EBR is quite easy and I bet the guys there will assist you with it too. When you go in it is just rubble but as you head north you get to the real reef which is very nice. Have a great trip!

The Wannadive dock is AT Eden Beach... can't imagine an op being better situated for you than that.

Per Wannadive and Eden Beach websites "Wannadive Bonaire provides unlimited, every day, boat diving for exploration on Klein Bonaire and the boat dive sites north on the main island of Bonaire."

So it looks like they do more than just Klein.

Another thing that might help her, boat or shore, is that at least some of the dive ops offer 63 cf tanks. This might be a good option for her if offered by Wannadive.

And while I have not done boat dives in Bonaire, from my experience elsewhere, I think some of the shore dives would be physically less demanding than boat dives.

Lastly, if you are able, there is also the option of carrying her gear in and out and let her don and doff in the water.

you may also want to consider "dock" dives from one or more of the resorts. makes for easy entry and exit. and it may be cheaper than a boat dive...

uncfnp is correct. Something Special is about 1 minute away from EBR and a simple beach entry. Wannadive does have small tanks so that makes things a bit easier. If you can shore dive the southern sites you will be repaid with a very different experience. The Garden has a very easy beach entry by the tree which is to the right once you make the turn into the site. You are rewarded with soft corals like crazy on the terrace and a beautiful dive down deeper.

Thanks, RJP. I obviously misread the WD site.

Thanks for the info. The following suggestions really make sense to me:

1- dock dives with step entry/exit
2- smaller tank. I always am at 500 when she is at 1300 with Al80s. She sips air, I suck like a racehorse but I'm getting better.
3- carrying her gear for her. Two trips from the truck to the waters edge. Float her kit out to her and she can doff at a depth where she is comfortable.

Thanks again. Keep those ideas coming.

I'm really excited. My wife will be enjoying the beach and the two of us will be diving. We are new OW certified want easy dives to refine our technique and practice our skills.

Here's one of WannaDives' boats:
Capture.jpg
and I believe the same boat from the water:
Capture2.jpg
If that doesn't work for you the resort north of Eden Beach is Den Laman.
Bonaire Dive/Adventure there has several lower profile boats:
Bonaire Dive and Adventure

Nearby - here's Buddy Dive's fleet - Boats

I also found Toucan Dive's boats at the Plaza Resort easy to board. It's south of town though.

DiveBoat1.jpg

I tore up my leg mid-week so we "dove the resorts" for a couple of days. Habitat has nice facilities - the lockers/showers etc are on a lower level right off the dive dock. Go north to the Cliff Dive site. Dive Friends is also there but at that location the entry isn't as easy.

Buddy Dive next door also has a nice dive dock. There's also Bari Reef's dock at BD&A but rent from them - they're a little fussy about who uses the dock.

Windsock Beach off the airport is one of the easiest shore entries. It's pretty flat and you just walk in. At other sites, previous divers may have marked the best entry point with piles of coral rubble. Look for sand channels out to deeper water also - this one is at Vista Blue - an Advanced Dive so I don't recommend it for you but it's the best example I know of. Most of the entry points can be seen here also: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm

c004508.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom