What does your BC weigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanBMW

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Numerous questions about travelling with a BC and I thought it would be interesting to really find out what your normally equipped BC weighs. BP/W too. I was surprised to find out that my Scuba Pro Accent weighs 7.8 pounds!

Scuba Pro Accent ---- 7.8 pounds

SeaQuest Passport: 5.5 lbs.

DSS Kydex Backplate, Hog harness, DR Travel Wing, weight pockets: 5.7 lbs.

...but I'm working on it!

I travel a lot for my diving, so I really go for lightweight gear, as long as it doesn't sacrifice performance or safety.

Thomjinx

It's not the weight...its the buoyancy. My Oceanic Flex QLR BCD, X-Large weighs more than my SS BP with OxyCheq 50# wing and DUI weight harness, but it takes more lead to make me nuetral when I use it (20+ pounds verses 12 with the BP).

Traveling I take my Aluminum BP/STA with the Diverite Trekwing which weighs in 4-5 pounds less than the SS BP and STA.

Mike

Transpac w/Travel wing, Atomic SS1 attached, 2 16lb weight pouches attached, 1 pocket and a large retractor attached = 7.90 lbs.

2 lbs of free lead needed to offset it's bouyancy.

I think my Stiletto is around 6 or 7 lbs....all I know is that it is pretty light and packs small.....it fit's in a carry on with most of my dive gear, fins excluded....

My Sherwood Tortuga is 8.4 lbs, and my Avid is 8.7 lbs.
Last month I went to Arixona for a long weekend, and my 7 mm wet suit, BC,hood, gloves, Fins, and flashlight had a weight of 49.5 lbs in a suit case all alone. I needed to pack a second bag for my clothing, and a carry on bag with regs, mask snorkel and misc items.
I never gave it much thought as to how much my gear is. I toss it in the back of my truck and go, but on an airline its a whole different story.
Jim Breslin

Fun thread! I just weighed my three singles rigs and got some surprises:

SeaQuest Libra (without weight pockets in): 4.5 lbs

DSS Kydex plate and TTW17 wing: 4.5 lbs

DSS SS BP and LCD 30 wing: 10 lbs! That was the surprising one. I save six pounds by using the Kydex plate and smaller wing. That's enough to really count when travelling.

I too was surprised.. I actually thought my SP BC weighed less than it does. Might have to wear it as a vest on the next trip since it doesnt seem to matter how much a passenger weighs. My weight, with all of my gear, is less than many passengers I have to sit beside...... Guess that another thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom