Freedom Plate or Dive Rite Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j1j2j38

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kind of trying to decide between either the new freedom plate Freedom Backplate reviews and discounts, ScubaToys, the Dive Rite AL or the Dive rite SS for a mix of NE drysuit diving and tropical 3mm diving with an Oxycheq Mach V signature 30lb wing. Exclusively for singles for at least probably another year, and if I go doubles I may just buy a doubles exclusive setup. I use 6lbs with my old BC in the tropics, so I would go with the Dive Rite SS, but I'm slightly concerned that it might be a bit too much weight. The Freedom plate is kind of in between the two diverites in weight but costs a lot more. The Diverite SS would get a couple more lbs onto my back which would be nice for drysuit diving though. Do people notice a difference in trim between having weight in the back plate vs weight on cam straps pushed up against the backplate? Because if not, I could go with the lighter backplate and just put more weight on cam straps.

any opinions?

Based upon your statement I would go with Oxycheq's SS plate and 30# single tank wing. If you need any additional weight I would utilize Halcyon's trim weight pockets attached to the tank straps...

ive already got the wing. Why the oxycheq plate? Does it offer an advantage over the dive rite SS plate for roughly twice the price?

I agree with the Oxycheq SS and 30# wing as I have used this with my 3MM wet suit for years diving a single tank in FL. With AL 80 I require a couple extra pounds which I have two small weight pouches (waist or cam straps) and with a steel 95 or 112, no additional weight needed and 30# lift was more than enough for single tank.

You can also use the 4lb sausage weight pouch (placed along spine) if you need additional weight with the drysuit depending on the tank used. I have a sausage weight and it worked very well when additional weight was needed.

Good Luck.
Keith

thanks, could either of you tell me what you like about the oxycheq backplate over the diverite? The diverite SS is like $70 and the oxycheq is more than twice that unless you know of a cheaper place to get it. They are similar weight and appear otherwise similar.

Dive Rite SS plate will also work just fine, especially if you find it for less.:D

Thanks. Yeah I was leaning towards the diverite SS but then the new freedom plate seemed like it might be appealing for single tank diving for my needs. People seemed to be favorable towards them before when they were only available through an individual in small batches but it looks like ST is now carrying them.

I have a Freedom plate I use for singles, and had a DR plate out of SS I used for doubles, but since I was head heavy switched to an aluminum plate DR plate for doubles.

For warm water tropical the Freedom Plate can not be beat. I wear it without a wetsuit so it is against bare skin and it is very comfortable. When using the Freedom Plate in cold water with a drysuit I have a lead wedge I use with it to add a few more pounds (I wear really thick undies and carry a lot of weight). I use an older Oxycheq Signature wing which is all that was available at the time, but would use a Mach V today.

Unless you have used a Freedom Plate how do you know how well it works? Notice you never see them being resold? I won't be selling my Freedom Plate ever.

a 30lb wing is about double what you need for a 3mm and a AL80. My warm water setup will be a DSS 17lb donut wing with a freedom plate if I have the extra cash come september when I go to bonaire.

yes, 30 lbs is more than I need for a 3mm and aluminum 80 but I dive drysuit with thick undergarments sometimes steel cylinders around here, and mach v signature is pretty streamlined anyway. I'm not going to buy 2 different singles setups plus potentially a doubles setup in the future. Given that I only have the money for one singles setup for now, I need to make it work for both drysuit where I will need probably 16lbs and tropics where I will need potentially no additional weight. I'm not trying to get one setup that will work for both singles and doubles, but I think one setup that can work for different types of singles diving is not unreasonable.

In any event, I already have the wing, just deciding what backplate to pair it with.

Back
Top Bottom