Cave Class Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I started studying online materials in prep for cave classes (NASE). One of the limits set fourth in the materials is:
Penetration: No more than one third of a set of double cylinders, typical of those used in the local area.

Emphasis mine.

How exactly do I interpret that last bit. I'm sure people dive all kinds of cylendars all over the place. So, if my buddy and I are bringing 108cuft tanks is it safe to consider those as typical? I'm certain they can't mean I go conduct some kind of study before planning a dive. It seems an odd wording for a limitation to me. I guess if I was traveling I would need to find out what is available at my destination and plan that. But that's not quite how this is worded.

I believe the training materials cover cave 1-4 but this was on the second page. Obviously I'll ask the instructor when next I see him. I was curious so I posted.

That's an assumption there. I signed up and paid for cave1-4 and Tek45. We scheduled some dates and they gave me the codes to access the online materials. Maybe this is for the Cave3 or 4 class. Should I not be reading early?

Ah Ok, it is likely then it is not a limit for the intro portion.
I don't know what they're trying to say withtypical of those used in the local area either, sounds like a pretty broad statement.

Nothing, he already said it only covers cave 1-4

Just curious what is set fifth?

---------- Post added March 20th, 2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

But what is the relevance of that line though?
Say, if you use 104's in Mexico, you do not follow the 1/3 rule?

104s/hp130s/lp85s/lp95s in florida

al80s in Mexico.

I called the instructor. Those limits are for later in the cave classes. In Cave1 we'll be doing sixths, 1000' max penetration and a few other limitations. Anyway, he said it was just a reference to traveling and planning based on the cylinders are actually available. Like, don't plan using your normal lp108 and get to mexico and dive an al80 with that plan Seems silly to even bother printing something so obvious. Also he said it related to making sure the whole team was on the same size tanks. Which also makes sense, but if so then why not state that plainly in the materials.

But what is the relevance of that line though?
Say, if you use 104's in Mexico, you do not follow the 1/3 rule?
I've been to mexico 4-5x over the last year. I've never seen anything other than AL80s. I live in FL, I've never seen much other than LP104/HP130's/LP95/HP120s, with a few LP85/HP100's floating around

You always use no more than 1/3 of the volume that the diver with the smallest tanks has.

I've been to mexico 4-5x over the last year. I've never seen anything other than AL80s. I live in FL, I've never seen much other than LP104/HP130's/LP95/HP120s, with a few LP85/HP100's floating around

You always use no more than 1/3 of the volume that the diver with the smallest tanks has.

Well, that's exactly my point, you use no more than 1/3, no matter what kind of tank is being used, weather they are typical of those used in the local area. or not.

1/3 is 1/3 period!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom