Little Cayman late July questions.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We had to go back...we were there last November and loved it! Top.side we had a 25 + mph wind which was great since we had almost no bugs but it limited our dives to the south side (only two to Bloody Bay which is where we really wanted to go). Has anyone been in late July and what was the wind like? How is the vis that time of year? What are your favorite dive spots on the Bloody bay side? Water temp? Skin suit or 5m shorty? Just back from Bonaire and by the 4th dive we were getting chilled. Thanks Bill

Never been to LC, but been to GC lots during that time. In fact, will be there again starting 7/25. Water is super warm (85-86) and for me at least a rash guard and board shorts is plenty even doing multiple dives per day. DMs tend to wear the same. Of course, everybody is different. I've been to Cayman several times during the different seasons and haven't really noticed a variation in terms of viz. Usually good.

Was there 1st week of August last year. Went to the Wall everyday. Water temp 82 - 85. Viz...to the end of the world. Like diving in an aquarium. I could clearly see shelves below me the DM said were at 300 ft. I was @ 100 ft. at the time. Checked my dive log...fav dive spots McCoy's Wall, Anne's Attic, Mixing Bowl. These were outstanding...the rest... only fabulous. Going back 2nd week of August this year. Dive skin only, but I live & swim on a spring fed river. YMMV. Have fun. :)

My wife and I also went last July and in November of 2014. In November, we never went to the North side:depressed: I will never again go in the winter.
In July, it was great, warm water 1.5 wetsuit and super diving.We enjoyed all the dive spots.

July I would expect good conditions, assuming no tropical storms around. November is kind of a crapshoot, weather-wise.

My wife and I have been 7 times, in August. In that time, we have done a total of something like 4 dives on the south side. From what I understand, during the summer, the north side is sheltered and during the winter the south side is sheltered.

Going back 2nd week of August this year. Dive skin only, but I live & swim on a spring fed river. YMMV. Have fun. :)

So am I. Who'd a thunk it!

July should be great but the last trip I went there was in October and it was one for the ages. It was great each day but four days we had absolutely glass like conditions. Even the DM's had not seen conditions like that in October. Would love to repeat that!

I was on the Cayman Aggressor last week of July last year. We left the dock and spent the first night off of Grand Cayman, The next day we did the Kittiwake and headed for Little Cayman. We spent the rest of the 10 day voyage diving BBW with the exception 2 dives off of Brac. We returned to Grand Cayman doing 2 dives that morning, we got off the boat the next morning and went to the airport. The seas were calm and flat the entire time. No weather problems at all. Water temps were in the 82-84 range. I wore a rash guard and board shorts. We did 4-5 a day and I didn't get cold. YMMV. As for a favorite? Yes, anywhere on BBW is wonderful.:D

Been to LC in Oct., Mar., Apr. we never had any bad days diving off Little Cayman or the Brac. Of course I've been to the Brac so many times that once they cancelled diving about 15 years ago when we had a cold windy day in Oct. that was the last time I can recall. I do recall my most memorable day, it was 1995 Easter morning off Little Cayman, the DM said..."it doesn't get any better than this!" Mirror flat, you could get around 300 ft of viz, it was fantastic. Last dove off LC was 2012, been to the Brac and GC since. Going to Hawaii next spring break for some more dives off Molokini Crater, our 3rd time. Good clarity, sharks, manta are all in the realm of possible each dive, you hear the whales singing underwater on every dive.

So am I. Who'd a thunk it!

Wow, will wonders never cease...we should try traveling together sometime...that would be a hell of a trip. I sincerely hope you have the best weather & viz imaginable (only slightly self-serving). :wink:

Back
Top Bottom