Dive Rite Nitek Duo vs SP Aladin Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ducst4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am deciding on a computer and would like some recommendations. I am going into tec diving soon.

My requirements are simple to operate; large numerals (I wear prescription masks); nitrox; preferably able to program 2 different mixtures for back/deco gas; backlight; large, easy to operate buttons as I dive with heavy gloves; relatively liberal algorithm; I’m neither into the downloading stuff nor am I a computer junkie; not air integrated; wrist type; very reliable; and user replaceable battery.

I narrowed my choices to the Diverite Nitek Duo and the ScubaPro Aladin Tec. Seems like both have the same specs except that the Aladin is a 1 gas computer, have smaller numerals, have a larger/thicker capsule although the DSS boot will fit.

I prefer the Nitek but the reliability issues, posted here and the DecoStop has me weary. They cost almost the same to me, >$400. Although DiveRite has excellent customer service, I rather not depend on it. I have no personal knowledge of the reliability issues however. DiveRite (I called them) says their supplier, Seiko, has assured them that the problems has been sorted out, but indirectly admit there was an earlier problem. All the dive stores I called say their returns have been very, very few, if any.

Any personal experiences and/or suggestions?

Thanks in advance and cheers!

I've never actually seen the Duo but I have a nitek 3. I love it except the numbers are awfully small. I think the Duo's are larger. I'd try to find a shop that has them in stock and take a look.

Another option would be a Vytec. I've got a Vyper (the one gas version) and it has very large numbers. The Vytec will cost you more than a Duo (especially if you buy it from an authorized dealer) but it does deep stops (I think it's ZHL-16 with gradients even though Suunot calls it RGBM).

Duo = Apex Quantum = TUSA IQ700. They all use the same Seiko 'guts'

FYI. Some failure issues, but easy to read, nice for cold dark water. YMMV

The Nitek Duo will be considerably more conservative than an Aladin Tec, even more conservative than Suunto computers. This might be OK for a computer that is expected to be used mostly for deco stop dives, but mighty inconvenient for recreational diving, especially considering that most boat operators frown on deco stop diving. See my review of the similar Seiko powered Cressi Archimede II in this forum.

leadweight: I'm not sure that having a conservative computer is necessarily a bad thing. It doesn't penalize you for missing a stop (like some others) and I've never found that I'm running the computer "to the edge".

As a matter of fact, I increased the conservatism of the computer slightly, given the conditions I dive in. I'm generally quite close to my friends who dive their Suunto's in default mode. YMMV.

Bjorn

Ok.

The Vytec is too much of a computer, expensive, and conservative. I'm off on a 2 day liveaboard next month.

The Nitek Duo with the Buhlman ZH-L16 (12 TCs) is actually very conservative which I did not realize earlier. Adding the reliability issue, I think I'll nix this. The Nitek He is too much of a computer for me at this stage.

Leadweight, your first hand reviews and posts on computers have been very enlightening. Man, you have been diving all over the globe! The Cressi is as conservative as the Duo, so nix this.

I believe the SP Tec uses the Buhlman Zh-L8 (8 TCs). It's between conservatism and liberal. Some reliability issues with early models but ok now.

I'm also looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 at, or for just $40 more the Veo 250. This Modified Haldanean (12TCs) is the most liberal, with excellent customer service/warranty, and is pretty reliable having been around a while.

The additional thought is the VT PRO air integrated; at $550 is a steal. In my rec multiple dives, I can just be lazy and totally relaxed and not bother to look at my spg. I know, I know - the AI thing is taboo in tec... But in tec dives, I can opt not to use the transmitter.

So it's between the Veo 250, VT PRO or the SP TEC. The replies have been helping and please keep them coming.

This board has been great - I look forward to more comments.

Cheers

ducst4:
Ok.

The Vytec is too much of a computer, expensive, and conservative. I'm off on a 2 day liveaboard next month.

The Nitek Duo with the Buhlman ZH-L16 (12 TCs) is actually very conservative which I did not realize earlier. Adding the reliability issue, I think I'll nix this. The Nitek He is too much of a computer for me at this stage.

Leadweight, your first hand reviews and posts on computers have been very enlightening. Man, you have been diving all over the globe! The Cressi is as conservative as the Duo, so nix this.

I believe the SP Tec uses the Buhlman Zh-L8 (8 TCs). It's between conservatism and liberal. Some reliability issues with early models but ok now.

I'm also looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 at, or for just $40 more the Veo 250. This Modified Haldanean (12TCs) is the most liberal, with excellent customer service/warranty, and is pretty reliable having been around a while.

The additional thought is the VT PRO air integrated; at $550 is a steal. In my rec multiple dives, I can just be lazy and totally relaxed and not bother to look at my spg. I know, I know - the AI thing is taboo in tec... But in tec dives, I can opt not to use the transmitter.

So it's between the Veo 250, VT PRO or the SP TEC. The replies have been helping and please keep them coming.

This board has been great - I look forward to more comments.

Cheers

Agreed Vytec too conservative, and expensive.
I do believe the problems w/ duo have been taken care of
The Oceanic's (and Aeris twins) are very very aggressive.
the VT Pro is still only one gas. they were supposed to come out with the VT3 (i beleive that's what its called) similar to Pro but supports 3 gas and 3 transmitters. I havn't seen any as we don't stock them and no one asked for them and personally I prefer mechanical SPG.

there is nothing wrong with a conservative computer.

Lastly, w/16-50 dives you may be rushing in getting multigas computer. On the other hand, it will be ready for you when you are ready for it.

Of course i am falable with 2 air only computer, 3 single gas nitrox computers and 2 multi gas computers

I own and dive 2 Dive Rite Nitek Duos both within the recreational and tec sides of diving. I use the Duo in 'full' computer mode for recreational-sport diving and in 'gage' mode for tec diving. It is a good easy to operate computer without all the fluff so many recreational units have,,,,would recomm. the Duo as a good solid pick.

Back
Top Bottom