Life cycle of a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that dive computers can last for years, but just like home computers, smart phones, etc. the life cycle (how long you use it) is far less than the life expectancy (how long it lasts).

How long do you actually use a dive computer for before moving up to the latest and greatest? I subscribe to the adage, "buy once, cry once" for most things, but I'm really wondering if this applies to dive computers. I'm considering buying a basic one now and selling it or keeping as a backup when my diving progresses and new models are available.

Reactions: Jax
There's only just so much a dive computer can do for a recreational diver.
The algorithms don't change just the bells and whistles.

My favorite computers are the early Suunto's SME-ML and Solutions, they have all I need and simple logical screen.
The Edge is still a usable computer just a little big.
These models are all over 20 years old.

I don't think the same idea applies to basic dive computers. Personal computers, all the software keeps moving and you start to have issues with stuff being too slow, too big, unsupported, insecure, etc. It starts to get more and more painful. Basic dive computers are more appliance like, you're not changing the software - they do what they do until they break, which could be a long time.

The only factors that have ever caused me to get something new were a shipping problem where UPS messed up (and our SME-MLs went missing for awhile), the advent of Nitrox (original computers were pre-Nitrox), or flooding one (which I actually replaced with the same model I bought used from someone here.) There are improvements that came along with those upgrades that I would not want to be without, such as reliable buttons/contacts, water activation, and batteries that are easier to replace. But the technology is long since past the introductory stuff and they're no longer making the bend-o-matic, so the desire to upgrade is more about wanting new toys rather than needing them. (I am tempted by pretty color displays and nice UIs, but when it comes down to it I'd rather buy a plane ticket to the Pacific.)

I think it makes perfect sense to start with a basic computer. As your diving progresses you may discover your basic computer is still perfectly fine, or that you don't want a computer at all. If you do want something else you're not going to know what until the time comes, at which point there will likely be new features for less money. A backup can be useful, and a basic Nitrox computer you get now should not be hard to sell.

.....The Edge is still a usable computer just a little big.....
I will buy you a beer if you can find 10 people diving with the Edge.
Not even Karl uses it anymore.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

If you just want to play pacman, an Atari 2600 will do the job adequately.

I still prefer the older Oceanic Nitrox computers. Other than having to reset mix after each EAN dive, it does everything I want.

my Aeries Manta, just died, not sure why, had it since 2007 would have kept using it otherwise.

This is exactly the reason why I keep talking about Shearwater Computers. I believe it's impossible to outgrow a Predator or Petrel. It's an unlimited gas computer that will do OC and CCR. It's the simplest computer on the planet to use. It's robust and sturdy. It's backed by the greatest customer services of any company anywhere.

If you wonder about it's longevity, just look at the older Shearwater Pursuit. Shearwater Research still provides updates and support for a computer that hasn't been sold in quite a long time. Yet, people are still very happy with it. It's still doing what it was intended to do.

I have a Shearwater Predator connected to my rebreather. I intend to get a Shearwater Petrel for backup. I can't imagine ever needing another computer unless I lose or drive over one of these.

Predator & Petrel
Simple enough that my 10 year old Junior Open Water Son can operate it. Advanced enough that I use it on my rebreather at 300'.

I bought a Suunto Cobra in 1999. I don't use it much anymore, and only for kind of strange situations, but I do use it. I prefer the Shearwater, which is what I mostly use. The reason, though, is that I do decompression dives with multiple gases, including helium, so I need a computer with that capacity. If I were still doing only recreational NDL dives, the Cobra would work just fine for that.

There is always an urge to buy something with more bells and whistles than you currently have, but do you really need them? I hear people talk about different features on their computers, and I think, "Why on Earth...?"

I think recreational NDL divers can do just fine with the most basic computers on the market. If you think you are going to get into tech some day, then wait until that day is fully upon you before shopping for such a computer.

I still dive my Aladin Pro, and it's 23 years young. It doesn't do Nitrox, and I can't download the dive profiles, but it's plenty good enough for me.

Another consideration is that if you buy a computer before you're around 40 years old, keep in mind that if the computer has a really cool tiny wristwatch-like display, it may become more difficult to read as you age. I love my Suunto D6, but I am beginning to think a wrist-mounted computer with a large (and colorful!) display is in my not-so-distant future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom