Petrel or Galileo SOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

been diving for 3 year getting close to the 100 dives logged, and im looking into changing my dive computer.
i currently have a air integrated cobra3 and him looking into a wrist mounted one.
I am looking for some incite about these 2 dives computers.

to further help in this i am currently doing my rescue, not sure if i will go into tech but i would like to keep the option open

thx

Hi all,

been diving for 3 year getting close to the 100 dives logged, and im looking into changing my dive computer.
i currently have a air integrated cobra3 and him looking into a wrist mounted one.
I am looking for some incite about these 2 dives computers.

to further help in this i am currently doing my rescue, not sure if i will go into tech but i would like to keep the option open

thx

was the word in bold on purpose? :)

I have used a Sol and a Petrel, but never owned either. In my opinion, the Petrel is a much better computer mainly because of the OLED full color display. No need to press a backlight button to see the screen, or to shine a light on it.

I have a buddy interested in selling his used Luna if you are interested....

I have no idea how anyone with even the barest understanding of these two computers' respective manuals and manufacturer customer service/support reputations could possibly ask this question. There was a time I'd try to explain my thinking on such a question, but now all I'm going to say is that if you buy a Galileo of any flavor you probably deserve to dive it.

Count me as a stupendously satisfied Galileo Sol user. I find it supremely readable (without gauge readers, no less), Key information is well laid out, visual alerts are very effective, the integrated compass mode is great for navigation dives, and the gas integration is excellently implemented (the latter two features are not on the petrel).

I have dove with buddies with Petrels, very fine computers, but I have no "OLED envy" so far although the color display is, for sure, an advantage, but not decisive for me.

There are a few petrel enthusiasts who, unfortunately, let their fan status carry them away into contempt for all other computers. Best to ignore those posts. Scubapro is a very popular brand and they must be doing something right customer satisfaction wise. I have had very good treatment from them when my older Aladin tec 2G finally needed service.

If you want compass and gas integration, there is really only one choice. If these are not important to you, then the Petrel has the color display (really nice) and a great reputation and will save you some $$.

Galileo Sol also does tec, including trimix.

Dr Lecter,

thank you for your reply, i have read a little on both computer but like you said i have failed to see what it is that you say :

"if you buy a Galileo of any flavor you probably deserve to dive it."

and i understand that you might have answered to many tread like this one, but the fact that i ask for some help in making a choice is a sign that i trying to educate my self about these apex computer, before spending a good some of money on a computer that will not grow with me in my diving. if you have the time to make a simple explanation that would be great .

thanks in advance

Read the manuals, decide what you want, buy whatever you feel like. I'm not selling anything and I couldn't care less what you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom