Fiesta Americana Hotel...any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a July trip to Cozumel and am considering a stay at the Fiesta Americana Hotel.

Has anyone stayed there and if so, do you have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks!

I have stayed there three times. It is a pretty good choice. It is not really fancy, but nicer than many other hotels on the island. I understand it got some freshening up and upgrades with the post-hurricane repairs. The Fiesta used to be pretty much a divers-only hotel (wetsuits hanging from every balcony), but with the advent of all-inlcusive resorts on the island and the addition of the all-inclusive option at the Fiesta, there are now two different types of guests: divers and the all-inclusive party crowd. The party crowd hangs around the pool all day drinking and the resort caters to them with loud, obnoxious music and activities. As a result, the rooms in the tower can be a little noisy during the day. Thankfully, the poolside festivities do not go on into the evening. The "tropical casitas" behind the tower are pretty nice, and much more quiet, particularly if you want an afternoon nap. If it's in your budget, consider the casitas. They are usually not too much more than the deluxe rooms.

I am not a big fan of all-inclusives. We like to go to town for dinner. But the last two times we went there we took the all-inclusive option because it was just so darn cheap. The cost differential was equivalent to the cost of breakfast or a few beers, so we took the AI option and still went to town for dinner. Then if we didn't feel like going to town (say, after a night dive), we had the option to eat at the hotel. The food is decent, but not great. Breakfast is probably the best meal. Lots of fruit and one of my favorite Mexican breakfast dishes, chilaquiles.

I like Dive House, the dive operation at the Fiesta, which also has a location in the plaza downtown. They have bigger boats, so you have some room and don't get tossed around as badly if there are some waves, but they have been keeping the number of divers on each boat down, so you shouldn't be crowded. They use an 80 ft. profile for the deep dives and don't usually go to Punta Sur or Columbia, at least partly because of mixed experience and skill levels of divers. That's OK for me, because I am usually with a group from the dive shop. Dive House runs a very good, safe operation.

Taxi rides into town are readily available and pretty cheap. Car rentals are pretty expensive and it's hard to find a place to park downtown. I have rented cars a couple of times for the week and have now decided that I really only need to rent a car for a day or two to explore the island.

I will definitely go back to the Fiesta, although I liked it better before the party crowd started going.

Go to Coz twice a year. Once stayed at Presidente and once at a condo. Both were nice but IMO Presidente was not worth the extra funds so we always stay at FA. We prefer the location since its close to the southern reefs that we prefer. We always stay in the Casita Suites. They are located on the back side of the hotel in 4 plex buildings. Larger room, larger bath room, balcony with hammock. With the room comes a continental breakfast. Great deal for divers. We are also not fans of the AI, especially in Coz. There are way too many great places to eat for that option. Taxi rides for two are 60 pesos to town.

The pools are nice and the service has always been good. Have a great time.

Stayed there 2 weeks ago, and on one trip last year.

AI is great for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and bottled water. Also the restaurant is open late, with really good food...esp. the filet mignon. This works out great when you get back late after a night dive.

Taxi to town for dinner is easy and $7.00.

Blue XT Sea picked us up a the hotel pier. If you want to do a last minute shore or night dive, Divehouse is pretty flexible.

The clean concrete area around the pier is great for rinsing, organising, and drying gear.

The ocean view rooms are nice, and the balcony works great for drying gear.

I will stay there again in the future.

We liked it - Definatly get an oceanview if you can !! It was very nice watching for our boat in the a.m. after breakfast. This time we'll be 'on the cheap' at Caribe Blu.

The only issues I had with FA is 1) the lack of "real" beach 2) the food wasn't the best, with the exception of breakfast which were very good.

Overall, the service and attitude was very nice, the Dive House, located on-site, was a very good operation to dive with.
I'd recommend the hotel to those NOT on a budget though, as the rooms are a bit pricey!

I've had friends stay there and like it a lot. I haven't made it yet but plan on it. They said the food was good but we like to eat in town too so it's nice that the AI plan is an option and not a must. Have a GREAT time, I LOVE Cozumel!

I stayed at Fiesta Americana once and that was enough for me. The location was great for the quick trip to most of my favorite sites, the AI plan was good for breakfast, lunch and an unlimited supply of the 1L bottled water. The a la carte restaurant was actually pretty nice. We had a few dinners there and we managed to find something that was fine for us.

I really hated that it was impossible to get a chair at the main pool are across the street by the time we got back from diving and had lunch. If you like the organized pool games, contests, bingo, etc, then you'll be fine. I don't and it got pretty annoying after a few days to listen to the loud music, all the games, bingo, etc., all announced over a bull horn. We had a "deluxe ocean view" room, but all the ocean view rooms are on the same side as the pool so even on our balcony I couldn't get away from it. The bar is outside close to the pool and stayed pretty loud until about midnight.

I've also stayed at Hotel Cozumel, which was convenient for the walking distance to town and had a huge, nice pool area. We were there in early December so the hotel was not 100% yet after Wilma and there were no afternoon pool games, etc. I think they usually have a full program though.

Last week I stayed at Casa del Mar. I liked it. They had a promo that included all meals and drinks for the same price as the regular room rate. It was great for breakfast, lunch and a drink or two. The food was good, staff was very friendly, rooms and property are kept very clean and I found it to be a comfortable place overall. 50 pesos for a taxi to town (40 to return if you get a taxi that's not in the main taxi que). The pool deck was relaxing, never a problem to get a chair (even over Memorial Day wknd when they were full up with dive groups) and the pool has a swim up bar if you want that. It doesn't have drinking contests, pool games, etc. I think it's a nice middle-ground between a full-blown resort hotel property and the smaller no-frills and in-town options.

FA added an additional beach with nice palm umbrellas right next to the dock. There is a small pool next to the restaurant that is quiet.
We are definitely not party pool people, and we were never bothered.

But, everyone looks for something different, and is satisfied by something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom