What type of signaling device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at signaling devices for my trip to Coz, and am trying to figure some things out. What type of "safety sausage" is recommended, and what color? I did a search and could not find what I was looking for (then again, my computer skills are not the best :11doh:) Thanks

Go to scuba.com and do a search for safety sausage, several will come up, ranging from 19.95 and up. I tend to be paranoid, but I also carry a whistle. Did get seperated one time from our dive group and had to surface with my buddy. That is the only time of about 60 dives in Coz.

espantoon:
I am looking at signaling devices for my trip to Coz, and am trying to figure some things out. What type of "safety sausage" is recommended, and what color? I did a search and could not find what I was looking for (then again, my computer skills are not the best :11doh:) Thanks

I prefer orange (or red in a pinch), and yellow for emergencies. Don't get the yellow or multicolor for your primary if you are a vacation diver because yellow is used to indicate a problem in some countries.

As for the type, I like semi-closed bags so I can fill them from my reg, but with an oral inflate option (mainly for surface use) and an overpressure valve (which also fits my wing in case I need a spare). I use a Carter with about 25-35# of lift so it doubles as an emergency lift bag in case of BC failure.

But do a search for SMB* for more opinions.

Having a safety sausage rolled up clipped to your BCD is a good safety net for the just in case scenario. In over 100 dives on the island, I've never had to use ours, but it's good peace of mind. Mine is orange and has a place to insert a glow in the dark light stick should I need it. (I keep the stick inside a pocket). I also have a whistle attached to my BCD at all times too. For the most part, your cozumel dives are very close and parallel to shore which gives you an added comfort zone of being close to shoreline. Also remember that on any given day in Cozumel, your dive boat is one of fifty plus boats strolling north to south along the coast together making us divers happy with great dives, so just be aware of what frequency your dive boat operates on so should you surface closer to another boat, they could assist you with a speedy pickup by your own dive boat. Remember too that with the drift diving of cozumel, your boat follows your group's bubbles, so for the most part there is very little need to be overly worried about surface issues except to exercise common sense and caution with all the boat traffic.... Safe diving to you.

Coupla comments...

First, you can cover a pretty good spectrum of potential issues with just three items. You want an audible signal, a visual signal, and a Surface Marker Bouy.

I would suggest something like a DiveAlert horn for the first, and a mil-spec signal mirror for the second. The DiveAlert is louder than a whistle. It works when a diver may be exhausted, or unable to keep on blowing a whistle. It's drawback is that there must be air in the tank to make it work. Signal mirrors may be seen by aircraft or boats, flashes from them are visible for miles, and they do not need batteries. On the other hand, they don't work at night.

These first two are not very persistent. A brief flash, a brief horn blast. A surface marker bouy will last for much longer, so long as it remains inflated. I prefer closed circuit devices (inflatable devices that do not have an open end) for this reason. In an emergency these can support an exhausted diver on the surface for many hours.

Here is one type that I find useful. I have the 6' one, as swells or waves can obsure the lower portion of it...:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

FWIW...

Do any of these 'safety sausages' have a valve attached so you can inflate them with your BC low pressure hose? I bought one in a kit and it is just a big-*****ed orange, open ended six foot long grocery bag to me. I can't figure how it could be used since it isn't closed at the bottom, unless you tie a piece of string around it or use a ti-wrap. Better than nothing I guess.

I want to go on record that if separated from group or come up on the wrong line please board or signal any boat to pick you up. If you get picked up by a boat that is not yours they will inform your boat via radio. Don't ever be afraid of getting on the wrong boat.

One of the best things of diving in Coz is most of the diving is within site of land. Worst case is swim for shore but please signal a boat if they are in site.

-Gregory

If you carry a $15-20 sausage, a whistle, a mirror, and a dive light - you'll be better equipped than most divers, and they don't misplace any for long in the channel. As said, hitch a ride on any boat if yours is not close. I've done it. :blush:

I carry all that and a Dive Alert, but the price of that whistle is not needed for Coz diving. I bought it for other places I've been. I do think the Storm whistle is the best personal whitle.

Back
Top Bottom