only 2 nights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
we are looking for a 2 tank morning dive and a night dive- the 2 tank twilight dive with Scuba Club looks amazing, though a shore dive might work as well. we are coming in on the afternoon of the 18th and leaving the afternoon of the 20th. we are looking for a chill spot, maybe owned by a Mexican rather than an ex-pat or someone abroad?? I would love to have a few hours of beach time, so perhaps a place in the south might be more appropriate? really just looking for some guidance on finding fair priced lodging / diving (possibly a package) and great people for a short stopover on the way to a conference in Tulum. most of the things I am finding are for 3+ nights and/or catered towards tourists rather than travelers (or in our case, passersby)- does that make sense and not come off too condescending?? haha steering us in any direction would be very much appreciated! thanks so much!

Rather than look for a place that can give it all to you, you may need to book hotel and dives separately. There are plenty of dive ops that do 2 tanks in the AM and then a twilight dive, I am sure. Two that I know of are Blue Angel and Aldora, both of whom I can recommend. If they have room in their lodging for just two nights, they may accommodate you, but they may be wary of booking two nights when they could have booked 5 or 7. If they can't/ won't book a room for two nights, I am sure they will be able to make suggestions of where to stay while you dive with them.

I don't know what a tourist hotel is or how ownership really matters.

If you want a sand beach you have Playa Azul, El Cozumeleno and Melia to the north. Blow off Fiesta Americana (costly) then to the far south Sabor, Allegro, Grand and Iberostar.

May I suggest cheaptickets.com...use the extra savings code...and find several that work.

Hotel maps here

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations

Using a premier dive op like aldora.com and staying close to downtown will get you beach time between dives, the option of lower priced hotels and a quality dive experience.

I see Hacienda San Miguel for $85 a night before applying the code. Some others are either bogus prices or are somehow inflated.

Villa Aldora is an option if you dive with Aldora. They are waterfront (no real beach() and have a small pool.

tourists rather than travelers (or in our case, passersby)- does that make sense and not come off too condescending?
No & yes...

I don't know how owns the hotels, nor care - sorry. You'll be dealing with locals and get a chance to use your Spanish skills anywhere.

I don't think you'll find any savings on a two night package, as you've noticed - but I never do hotel & dive packages in Coz anyway. You can match up your best choices in hotels that appeal to you to Operators that suit your needs and pay seperately just fine. For two nights and at most three - two tank trips, the total dollars won't be all that much. I don't think Scubaclub will take you diving if you stay elsewhere tho? There are plenty of Ops to select from.

Be sure you have dive insurance, DAN or DA, and be sure to hire a private DM for the first trip.

The "tourist versus traveler" thing is the subject of endless debates on forums like Lonely Planet, and yes, it sounds condescending. Cozumel is tourist central. At least on this trip, you're there to dive--just accept that you are the very definition of "tourist." I have not heard of anything like a homestay sort of place on Cozumel. If such exists, it is probably well away from the area most conveniently close to the dive boat piers.

Where you stay is usually a trade-off among multiple sometimes conflicting requirements. May I suggest staying within walking distance or a reasonable taxi ride of town. If you agree, that eliminates the southern hotels with nice beaches. Then use a dive op who stops at a beach club during the surface interval. That includes Aldora, Blue XTSea, probably Living Underwater and others I cannot recall. Personally, bobbing on the ocean between dive sites is far inferior to relaxing on a beach with your toes in the sand, looking at the water and having a meal if you wish.

You are also close to the many places to eat in town.

Then use a dive op who stops at a beach club during the surface interval. That includes Aldora, Blue XTSea, probably Living Underwater and others I cannot recall. Personally, bobbing on the ocean between dive sites is far inferior to relaxing on a beach with your toes in the sand, looking at the water and having a meal if you wish.
To each his own. I don't mind sitting in a boat during the SI or going to that deserted pier down near Palancar where a lot of ops go. As long as I can see the water I am fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom