Martha's Quarry Dive / Nashville, TN this weekend (5/6/09)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Correction, I'll be there 6/6, not 5/6.. my bad! =)

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Nashville this weekend to visit some family. I've been looking at diving Martha's Quarry (in the Nashville area), and wondering if:

(A) Has anyone dived this quarry? If so, how would you rate the dive?
(B) Would anyone like to meet up to do a mid morning dive around 11-12?

I'll be there tomorrow morning, and looking to make a dive or two before I head out.

might want to call and make sure they are going to be open.

they closed the quarry last year so they could remove more rock and also because of an issue with the group of owners that owned the land. It was closed for a few months.

I'm sure it's re-opened, but a phone call would save a lot of hassle.

BTW... that's a cold quarry. this time of year below the thermocline it'll be cold.

The quarry is great to dive in though. It's one of the few places you can dive/swim through buildings underwater. the old rock crusher buildings/sheds and conveyor belts are all still there. take a light with you to see more (although you really don't need it as there is enough light coming in the building to move around).

The quarry is about $30 bucks to get in, but Nashville Dive Shops have lower admission tickets if you buy from them. FYI. I think they are $20 if you buy in advance at a local shop.

Hey Cuz, (Mike_S will get it)

Yeah I'd call to make sure the quarry is open. If not you may want to pop down to Madison it's about 1 1/2 hours. IMHO Martha's is one of the more interesting quarries to dive. I can't make it but I think we'll be a Bluewater next weekend.

AL

I called a LDS in the Nashville area, and he said they would be open tomorrow. I was at ABWA last weekend, and had a great time, but lost one of my integrated weight pockets!!! =( Luckily I have an extra set, but if you see a Mares weigh pouch with 5 lbs in it, let me know!! Have fun!

May I make an observation categorizing the local quarries - Martha's, ABWA, and Madison.

Madison Quarry has the most cool items sunk in it and is by far the most interesting to investigate.

ABWA is the best quarry to play with 150 fish and for training (deep, night, etc) due to its wonderful diversity and facility.

BUT - Martha's is the amusement park of dive quarries. Funny things to see like outhouses, fish that follow you around like a puppy dog, items great for search and recovery training because there are so many things out there in all that acreage. But, the best "thrill-ride" is diving amongst the crusher house and shaker house. There are stairways, swimthroughs, conveyor belts, a toilet seat :) for great photography prop, a full-sized greyhound type bus, and several other fun objects to try to find that you will just have to discover for yourself.

Just my opinion. Not trying to start a quarry war. The 4 of us thoroughly enjoy all 3 of them.

I dont think its possible to start a quarry war between Marthas, ABWA, and Madison. If you dive one, then you will probably dive the others. I even sell admissions for Marthas at Madison.

Since I have been running madison, I have noticed that quarry operators dont seem to compete. Wayne at ABWA even helped me with getting the waivers I needed in order before I opened last year.

Thanks everyone, but from what I hear, they are doing construction work at Martha's and it's probably pretty muddy. Supposedly, the only people diving there are students doing their checkouts. I don't guess it's gonna happen this weekend, but if I end up with enough free time I might check out some place in Kentucky that two of the LDS mentioned.. About an hour north of nashville. Anyone know where they might be talking about?

Tis is true, and it's awesome to be able to visit each site and not feel bad about occasionally taking a dip at the other. I can't speak to much about Fred since I havent dove the place but once, however I can say without a doubt that you won't get better service from the operators of ABWA and Madison.

Good bunch of folks and great dive family to have!

Ken

Thanks Ken, and I might be going to far with this one, but Im sure that Wayne would say the same.

but if I end up with enough free time I might check out some place in Kentucky that two of the LDS mentioned.. About an hour north of nashville. Anyone know where they might be talking about?

he might be talking about Cerulean Springs quarry....

it was in kentucky. but it closed 1-2 years ago.

I heard rumor that it might be re-opened by another quarry operator, but that was a while ago....

or maybe it was Penneyroyal. I forgot about that at first

http://www.pennyroyalscuba.com/pennyroyal_files/page0001.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom